Question for the electricians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I am rebuilding the engine harness for my coupe (original was severly butchered), and would like to do away with the fusible links. and go to a large fuse (or fuses). I'll be running a remote starter relay, as I have never cared for the OE setup with the fuse links down on the starter where all the exhaust heat is.

What is the generally accepted rule for selecting the fuse rating? In the course of my career as a collision tech I have seen master fuses from 60 to 140 amp rating. I assume the alternator capacity and accessory loads figure into it somewhere.

Also, would it be better to use a fuse on each of the 2 power feeds, or gang them to a single fuse? My gut says 2 is better, as that leaves one section of fusebox powered if there is a fault on the other feed.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
A fusible link is a slow burn which is what you need, the other fuses are fast burn. If you used a fast burn with high enough rating to handle the current you'd need to upgrade the wires or they'd fry.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Somebody else thinking about getting rid of fusable links. Years back I yanked a maxi fuse box out of an Grand Am (maybe a Buick?) & a aux positive battery cable from a late '90's C/K to power it. Plans for it is to have it mounted on the drivers side inner fender, have a fuse for each reomved fusable link, one for the A/C (for when & if I hook it back up) & what ever else that could be fused there. Just wish I knew what amp fuse to use.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Here's my take: fuses and fusible links are only there for protection from a short circuit. A 50 or 60A Maxi-fuse can take their place anyday, everyday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
"While "MAXI" fuses have replaced most factory installed fusible links in late model vehicles, they do not have the same performance characteristics as fusible links and should not be used to replace them unless specifically authorized by a vehicle factory service bulletin. Fusible links continue to be used in most starting circuit applications."

http://media.digikey.com/PDF/Data Sheets/Littelfuse PDFs/Fusible_Link_FAQ.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor