Question for the paint and body guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Lately I’ve been shooting a lot of stuff in matte clear (PPG Concept 2021 clear with their flattening agent in it).
I haven’t really done much with matte clears before, so forgive my ignorance.

I have a couple of dust nibs in the stuff I’ve already shot, and I’d like to knock them out by lightly wet sanding with 2000 grit. My question is, if I polish these areas back up with rubbing compound afterwards, will it come back glossy, or return to its original matte finish?

Thanks in advance gents.

D.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you cannot sand or buff matte clear, hope you using the flattening agent just on your last coat of clear, that stuff cost me about $80 per quart when I did my GP

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That was never an issue I ever dealt when I was mixing PPG. Most shops I dealt with really didn't bother with low gloss clear & those that did never said they have a issue like that. As for the wet sanding it could put a shine on it but have you thought of a test with a cleaning clay? It ment to clean up the top coat surface to get rid of the dust & dirt in it.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i love 2021! no buffing on it.even the flex and flat it'll bring the shine.

• Agree

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
In general with flattened clears any sort of buffing , even a little mildest compound with your finger for a couple of swipes will change the gloss level. I'm sure same for clay bar. Usually it's sand & recoat only. Rule is NO.
Not that being said, I coat wood & stained fiberglass entrance doors at work with matte or satin clears. I have used a razor carefully to shave a nib & then either barely sanded with tip of finger & paper , buffed tiny spot with rag, compound, end of finger, Then lightly buff with white synthetic scuffing pad OR just the pad only. You'd really need to try a spot to see what you can do, but I have went back over spots with fine synthetic scuffing pad, sometimes a whole area to even out & called it a day.

A small trim part you can be pretty brave on, the center of a hood with no contrast to break it up,,eh?

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like the general consensus is “no”. But with the caveat that it may be possible with a small amount of experimentation.

The tip about removing the nib and keeping the repaired area as small as possible and then scuffing it with a white ScotchBrite was really helpful. Thank you. I have all the necessary materials to make this happen, including the white scuff pad.

I have two areas where the nibs are really bothering me, one on top of the driver’s side belt moulding (right by the handle where you see it all the time), and on one of the steering wheel spokes I just refinished. Both in your face, and neither in a spot where there’s any real contrast to “break it up”.

I guess I’ll just have to get brave and try and find an inconspicuous spot to try it out on.
Thanks again for relaying your experiences with this.

Reactions: 4 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Even though the steering wheel is in your face, the spokes are what I spoke of as a small trim part. If it's gloss level looks 5% different than another part of the car, doubt anyone would notice or care as long as it looks good & consistent..

I assumed you probably really knew the general answer was no with matte clears, but like me, don't care much for that answer.
With most painting spots I can't let go on entrance doors I do at work, as well as scratches I find in new glass, I'd say about 75% of em somehow are in your face, not in a corner. UGH....

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Even though the steering wheel is in your face, the spokes are what I spoke of as a small trim part. If it's gloss level looks 5% different than another part of the car, doubt anyone would notice or care as long as it looks good & consistent..

I assumed you probably really knew the general answer was no with matte clears, but like me, don't care much for that answer.
With most painting spots I can't let go on entrance doors I do at work, as well as scratches I find in new glass, I'd say about 75% of em somehow are in your face, not in a corner. UGH....

Right?!? That always seems to be the case.
And you’re 100% right, although I truly didn’t know what the answer was, I still wasn’t necessarily prepared to accept it. I’ve always been of the belief that if there’s a will, there’s a way. But your suggestion has given me cause for hope.

I haven’t attempted the repairs yet, but I’m fairly confident I can pull it off relatively easily. I’m not sure when I’ll have a chance to attempt it, but I’ll be sure to post up my results here when I do.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor