Question Re: 3-spoke "Sport" Steering Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
So I've started going through the hoard of parts I've gotten off eBay (and GBF) for the wagon restomod, and I was taking a closer look at the 3-spoke wheel I got. The spokes were a little rusty, but I went at them with some WD-40 and some 3M green pads, and they shined up pretty good. I took a closer look at the rim, and it seems like it was painted at some point. But the texture didn't feel like leather at all. There was "stitching" along the inside rim, but it looked like it might have just been a molded-in pattern. Were all of these actually leather-wrapped, or did some of them have just a textured foam rim? Will try to post a photo tomorrow. It's late, and I've had a long day.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Here are the pics of the wheel core I got. I’m not sure if it’s original leather or foam. It seems the rim was painted at some point. Regardless, I want a thicker grip, so I think I’m just going to do a color-matched leather wrap overlay.

These pictures are after I cleaned it up with WD-40 and Scotchbrite. One spot had some oxidation even after I cleaned it, and one of the spokes has some pitting. Overall though, I thought it was decent shape for what I paid for it. Pristine wheels are a fortune.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I bet if you got crafty with a brush and silver paint, it would look better.
I'm still amazed that they tried to make steel look like aluminum. The 79 T/A wheel I used is actual aluminummy.

Reactions: 1 user

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
There's several places online that will make a leather wrap for your wheel, the names of which escape me right now. Researched them trying to find a new leather wrap for the wife's Grand Cherokee. You gonna spray some clearcoat on the brushed section?

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I have an auto upholstery shop I’ve found that does a good work. Are these pretty rust-prone? I’ve thought about clearcoating the spokes.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I have that wheel on my Monte Carlo LS. Added it later but it does have leather on it. What is it off of? Also the horn button is not long enough in it. Anyone know what part number would make that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor