Question:

Osmobile Calais

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2023
what is the best LS swap for my 84 cutlass a 5.3 aluminum block with 4L60 transmission or a 6.0 Ion block with 4L80 transmission?

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
What is your budget? What do you want the car to do? If you can swing the price tag on a 6.0/4l80 it has more potential when you want more power. Buddy and I have done a couple 5.3/4L60 swaps in other cars and they are great for more of a driver and you aren’t trying to race everyone on the planet.

The best swap is the one you can complete, scope creep is a MF.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Osmobile Calais

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2023
What is your budget? What do you want the car to do? If you can swing the price tag on a 6.0/4l80 it has more potential when you want more power. Buddy and I have done a couple 5.3/4L60 swaps in other cars and they are great for more of a driver and you aren’t trying to race everyone on the planet.

The best swap is the one you can complete, scope creep is a MF.
Thanks! I got $ 2500 for complete engine and transmission; I just want to drive my car again not trying the race no body. do you know where can I buy a complete engine with that budget?

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Thanks! I got $ 2500 for complete engine and transmission; I just want to drive my car again not trying the race no body. do you know where can I buy a complete engine with that budget?
I think you should look at some of the threads on here where guys have done LS swaps.I don't know what is wrong with your current drivetrain, but if you just want to drive it again and have a budget of $2500 I would reconsider the LS swap. LS swaps always end up costing more than you expect because of all the other things that need to be done to support the new engine platform. For example you'll need a computer for both the engine and transmission; you either pay the money for an aftermarket system that aren't cheap, or you use a factory harness and computer that is a cheaper solution on the surface but then you either need the tools and know how to clean up and integrate the new harness into the car or you have to pay someone else to do it, then comes the tuning of said computer. That's just 1 aspect out of many to consider when doing an LS swap. Just be mindful of your budget and what all is involved before you take the leap into an engine swap.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I think you should look at some of the threads on here where guys have done LS swaps.I don't know what is wrong with your current drivetrain, but if you just want to drive it again and have a budget of $2500 I would reconsider the LS swap. LS swaps always end up costing more than you expect because of all the other things that need to be done to support the new engine platform. For example you'll need a computer for both the engine and transmission; you either pay the money for an aftermarket system that aren't cheap, or you use a factory harness and computer that is a cheaper solution on the surface but then you either need the tools and know how to clean up and integrate the new harness into the car or you have to pay someone else to do it, then comes the tuning of said computer. That's just 1 aspect out of many to consider when doing an LS swap. Just be mindful of your budget and what all is involved before you take the leap into an engine swap.
I’ll agree with this also, LS swaps are by no means cheap. Even the last 5.3/4L60 I sold to my buddy for $1200 he still sank another $2500 in for all the other stuff that is needed to do it correct and not “internet half *ss”. $2500 won’t get far to do it right after half is gone on the wngine/trans. Work this problem backwards and forget the engine/trans. Start at what is needed for a fuel pump(you going in tank or external?), fuel lines/connectors, engine mounts, transmission mount(new crossmember for 4L60?), will your current radiator inputs work with the LS, are you keeping the AC, what engine management will you use, can you tune with HP Tuners or Holley, what are you using for exhaust manifolds and will they work with the current exhaust setup(most probably not).

LS swap combos are reasonable, all the other parts to make it work is what kills you and drags the project out to where a shotgun sounds like a good idea.

Reactions: 5 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I think you should look at some of the threads on here where guys have done LS swaps.

This right here is why those of us who have done doezens over the years don't even care to chime in in these vague AF questions.

We took the time to put out detailed build threads that are here. If you can't grasp what it took to build the car from them threads, probably not your hobby..

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Before anyone gets their panties in a knot, literally at the top of this whole section of the forum is the sticky threads with a mountain of information that me and others have posted. I'll even be a sweetheart and link it:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
what is the best LS swap for my 84 cutlass a 5.3 aluminum block with 4L60 transmission or a 6.0 Ion block with 4L80 transmission?
Either would be decent if you are just building a cruiser. My personal preference would be the 6.0/4l80e.....6.0 will offer more potential if you want to swap cam and valve springs later on and the 4l80e is a superior trans.

In my area, iron 5.3s are $500ish, iron 6.0s are around $1,000.....I don't see many aluminum 5.3s.....but they are likely in that $1000 range. A 2wd 4l80e can be found for $500. A 2wd 4l60e is $4-500.

If you are resourceful, the rest of the project doesn't have to cost as much as others will lead you to believe. If you are willing to part out the donor vehicle, the drivetrain can be had for free. For a stock cam, a mail order tune will work just fine. Reworking the wiring harness yourself saves money. You can save money by modifying the stock crossmember, building your own exhaust....etc.

Osmobile Calais

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 19, 2023
Thanks for the advice! I have been looking with no luck so far. I'm looking on all the wrong places, like Market place even the local junk yards here in Florida, I can't get one at reasonable prices.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Thanks for the advice! I have been looking with no luck so far. I'm looking on all the wrong places, like Market place even the local junk yards here in Florida, I can't get one at reasonable prices.
Research is the word of the day imo. There is a ton of info here to help you. But $2500 years s a tall order unless you can handle the factory ECU install. If you can’t swing the $5k to get it done paying others, then I’d strongly recommend either saving money or looking for a different plan.

If, repeat if, you have the skills to do the install yourself, then look for a 4.8 and plan on a budget turbo setup. 4.8’s are almost free as compared 6.0/6.2’s, and one with a $300 turbo will outrun and outlast a 6.0.

This really comes down to your skill set and budget.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor