EL CAMINO Questions about HID conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It depends on what you want and how deep you pockets is. I like the Hella housings mainly because they have the fluting in the lens, and it looks like factory and belongs there. There are others that like the modern, all in one, LED units. The Hellas are expensive, and to throw LEDs in is double again. I think you can get 4x6 LED units pretty cheap, like $60/ea off fleabay.

Reactions: 1 user

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
So nobody knows what I need? Or even any LED conversions that have a proper beam?
IMO, your best option is an H4 conversion with LEDs that have similar or slightly higher lumen output to incandescent bulbs. In order to retain proper beam pattern, make sure the bulbs have the same length where they emit light. I know that sounds strange, but if they’re not the same, it’ll throw the beam pattern out of focus and give you a floodlight- which is a nightmare to drive with.

The only real suitable option in my mind for HIDs is a projector style headlight, but I’m not aware of any company that makes a set with replaceable bulbs. So you’ll need to modify a set of cheap 4x6 “projector” housings with a set of real deal projectors, which is rather time consuming, but worth it in my opinion.

The other route to go is get plug and play LED sealed beam headlights from the likes of JW Speaker, Morimoto, Dapper Lighting (to name a few), or some of the various semi truck suppliers. Some of the ones you find on Amazon or eBay are pretty stout, but you’ll need to scrutinize those first.

If you do go HIDs, go with some of the higher end stuff, I’ve had enough sets of cheap ballasts to know it’s not worth it.

Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
The Retrofit Source has a handful of options, if you click on the first one in the search then go to the last option I believe that is what you are looking for but also probably more than you want to spend. Hence why I thought my inners are probably your best bang for the buck. The housing is glass and I went with a more expensive LED bulb that has RGB in it for probably like $200 said and done for the pair

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyVillain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2021
I don't mind spending money on the hella housings, or even a little more to make them work really well with LED as uc suggested. I'll most likely avoid modifying headlight housings because there is a 99% chance I will ruin them beyond repair (just a special talent I have). I like the inners you have mclellan and I'll definitely keep those in mind, would just have to find some outers that I think match with them pretty well. Also about bulb length, how would I even measure that? Do h4s have a coating in the bulb for cutoff or something and I measure from that? Also the JW Speaker 8800s caught my eye and they come in black. Starting to lean towards JW Speaker since theyre plug and play or seem that way at least, just gotta do a bit more research into them. I was under the impression for a long time that most LED headlights in 4x6 were just sketchy ebay level lights. Glad to see they have come a long way in the past several years.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I don't mind spending money on the hella housings, or even a little more to make them work really well with LED as uc suggested. I'll most likely avoid modifying headlight housings because there is a 99% chance I will ruin them beyond repair (just a special talent I have). I like the inners you have mclellan and I'll definitely keep those in mind, would just have to find some outers that I think match with them pretty well. Also about bulb length, how would I even measure that? Do h4s have a coating in the bulb for cutoff or something and I measure from that? Also the JW Speaker 8800s caught my eye and they come in black. Starting to lean towards JW Speaker since theyre plug and play or seem that way at least, just gotta do a bit more research into them. I was under the impression for a long time that most LED headlights in 4x6 were just sketchy ebay level lights. Glad to see they have come a long way in the past several years.
There are some really high quality units since they are what a lot of the older tractors run and need the quality, just be prepared to have to make some room in the buckets to get anything non OEM to fit. When I was doing my blazer setup plan I wanted to go custom because I want a cool looking DRL as well as a nice looking unit but decided to go a total different custom route because I felt like it was going to be too much work to get a project properly done in there.
If I were you I would run my inside as your outside to get your RGB effect. Then run these as the inner and hook up the turn signal option, we put a pair in for a customer and wired them both as turn. I think it would look a lot cooler as just the inner doing it but the boss made the call
s-l16001215.jpg

• Creative

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
So nobody knows what I need? Or even any LED conversions that have a proper beam?
Try this on youtube. Also watch some of their other videos on selection lights. Its a good vid and eye opening. I thought all LEDS were the same, but they are not.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Check these out from Dapper Lighting. For the past few years, I've pushed Dapper officials to offer a set to fit our El Caminos, While at Hot August Nights 2019, they finally did and I was one of the first to make an order. However, I have yet to install mine. I also have a set of Dapper lights in my 1992 Chevy S-10.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Check these out from Dapper Lighting. For the past few years, I've pushed Dapper officials to offer a set to fit our El Caminos, While at Hot August Nights 2019, they finally did and I was one of the first to make an order. However, I have yet to install mine. I also have a set of Dapper lights in my 1992 Chevy S-10.

Cool. Please tell us how they work. Do they direct light correctly or is it just a fuzzy light mess?

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I did just see these which I think are much like what you are looking for, I just bought their LED Chevy Emblem

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ

Did you ever get these installed? If so, what are your thoughts? Any output pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor