Questions about my 87 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2019
I bought a really nice 442 last spring and I have been questioning myself if it is an original 442 or 1 that was pieced together. I really wanted to try and get the CCC system to work properly again and keep the car as original as possible, minus the headers I added. I am really torn between trying to keep it original or rip the 307 out and replace everything with something better. LS ? The vin and body tag on the firewall both confirm that the body is a Vin 9, but according to my RPO codes on the trunk lid it shows items that my car doesn't have. I should have a power antenna, but it does not exist. I have the floor shifter, but my steering column was from a column shift car. it doesn't have the lever, but there is a chrome cover around where it should have been that rotates when I shift from the floor. The interior trim on the TTOPs is maroon instead of grey. The front bumper has what looks to be junkyard markings, I'm sure Olds didn't mark the bumpers "87-88 Cut" at the factory.
I also bought an original GM Service Manual and noticed that the wiring diagram for a VIN 9 doesn't use a Anti Dieseling Solenoid, but I have the wiring and plug for it next to my carb. I have been tracking down other issues with the electronics behind the dash, not sure if my ECM is bad, or if there are other sensors bad under the hood. There also seems to have been quite the hack job to most of the wiring under the dash from looked to be an older alarm system.

I guess I'm just looking for suggestions. I love the car, just want to be able to enjoy the hell out of it without fighting a 32 year old computer. What would YOU do? and no I do not have an unlimited budget.
20180723_194815[3891].jpg

Reactions: 1 users

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
I have the same year make and model as you. I even have the same paint job. It sounds like you have one of two scenarios: you own an actual 442 that has undergone a lot of repairs and modifications OR you have a Cutlass Supreme with a replacement VIN tag. Either way, it seems like there have been too many modifications to turn back the clock. My advice would be to make it into the 442 that you want to own and drive. I'd start with replacing the underpowered 307 with a 350 if it were mine.

Reactions: 1 user

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
If possible post a pic of the spid label in the trunk. Btw the vin should also be on the spid label and should match the vin on the dash, also W42 should be on there that's the rpo for the 442 package.

Reactions: 2 users

woodro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2019
I like that advice. "Make it what I want to own and drive". I've always loved these cars, I had an 87 Salon in high school, my mom had 3 when i was growing up. I picked up an Olds 350 because it was cheap but wasn't fully committed to swapping it in just yet. Maybe next winter.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
A real 87 vin 9 car will also have a 120mph speedo, gray dash trim plates instead of woodgrain, a heat shield above the passenger side tailpipe to protect the fuel lines, a dual snorkel air cleaner, trans tag code will be KZF, an 8.5 inch rear rpo G87 with a 3.73 ratio rpo GT4 and if its a posi rpo G80. Junkyard bumper indicates it was probably wrecked at one point the antenna may also have been replaced with a non power unit , the power ones go bad all the time and can be expensive to replace.

• Agree

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
first things first , good looking car.

as you point out it's a 32 year old car , with 32 years of history.

RPO Codes not matching ? just the power antenna ? appears it was replacement with fixed mast replacement.....pretty common.
not too many original power antenna's last for 32 plus years.

this Anti Dieseling plug , is it green ? could it be a port for dealer use .....smarter than me 442 owners will fill in the the real name & reason for this .picture's are required .

front bumper with junkyard marking, well a front end accident and junkyard replacement part solves that mystery.

CCC system ,
again 32 year old sensors' , vacuum lines have they been replaced and correctly ?
you added headers , is the O2 sensor still in the exhaust stream ?

Steering Column ,not sure what you mean by a chrome cover ? picture ?

T-Top trim wrong colour , well it was replaced due to age (?)

hack job of wiring , maybe from a old alarm .....not surprising.

How is it running now ?

if your not on an unlimited budget , forget LS and you will be shocked by the cost of rebuilding a OLDS 350.

keep it 307 for now , and maybe in future do the olds 350 swap.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Why will he be shocked at the cost of rebuilding an Olds 350? Yes, it costs more than a sbc or LS but at least quality pistons and stroker cranks now exist along with better stock replacement rods coming soon as well. What year Olds 350 do you have? What heads are on it? Also take a look at the tag on the 2004R trans. Nice car.

• Agree

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Welcome! The way I see it is. The hard part is all ready done for you. The paint and body. Who cares if it is a real 442 or not? Not worth much more if it is, and it's not like it every was a performance car anyways. Make it into what ever your heart desires!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

woodro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2019
Anti Dieseling plug , is it green?
-This is the plug in question. Pink/Black wires. It is not the dwell meter connection.
20190211_192636.jpg

Replacement antenna makes sense.

O2 sensor is downstream just behind the collector

Steering column - my guess was that it was broken into and someone jacked the original column trying to steal the car.

20190211_212631.jpg

I know the cost of rebuilding the 350, but spread it out over a year or 2 my wife won't notice as much :p

• Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor