Quick performance 9" question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Ive decided the junkyard 7.5 inch is going to go eventually and rather than spend money rebuilding it I am going to start buying my 9" stuff
Im buying the housing and axle package first. Drum brakes. And building my own center section.
Did anyone have issues with the fitment of this rear end in their car. Factory sway bar work?, shocks and springs go right in. And will this require a driveshaft made when done or just a special u joint. Is it truly stock width so custom wheels will ride in the same location.
Thanks for any input

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Mine fit great/easy. I ordered mine for 2000 Camaro rear discs

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Were you able to use the stock driveshaft/swaybar
Sway bar should work depending on what lower control arms you buy, even if the stock driveshaft fit I wouldn't use it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Depending on your intended use, you may want to pay attention to upper control arm mounting to see if the ears are raised. It might mess with your launch.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Depending on your intended use, you may want to pay attention to upper control arm mounting to see if the ears are raised. It might mess with your launch.
This is really just a street car , cruise nights, etc. No major drag racing or anything more than occasional burnouts. Thats why i was going to leave the drive shaft, sway bars, control arms all stock. The 7.5 that i have came out of a car that was rolled and think that it has structural issues causing it to go through front seals or i would rebuild it

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This is really just a street car , cruise nights, etc. No major drag racing or anything more than occasional burnouts. Thats why i was going to leave the drive shaft, sway bars, control arms all stock. The 7.5 that i have came out of a car that was rolled and think that it has structural issues causing it to go through front seals or i would rebuild it
If you don't have enough power to need a 9" I would just look for a good 7.5" core to rebuild if yours is questionable, a 9" will take more power to turn compared to your 7.5". I would say look for a 8.5" but they are getting scarce and most everyone that is selling one thinks they are made of gold.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
You're gonna need a conversation u-joint to use your stock driveshaft.honestly if you're considering upgrading the diff you should really consider having a different shaft built.it'll let go before that 9" ever will.

Reactions: 1 users

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
If you don't have enough power to need a 9" I would just look for a good 7.5" core to rebuild if yours is questionable, a 9" will take more power to turn compared to your 7.5". I would say look for a 8.5" but they are getting scarce and most everyone that is selling one thinks they are made of gold.
I agree totally, i just might be talking myself out of this. I just wanted to only have to pull a rearend one time was my thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor