Quick Performance 9in Rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed White

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2013
Hey guys i installed a QP 9in rear end into my 81 Malibu before i put my car away for the winter.
- I noticed they dont weld brackets on for the bump stops.
- im going to take the rear springs out and jack up the rear end to see if the axle tubes touch the frame.
-The car is still in storage right now but i have a few ideas in mind, maybe put some bump stoppers up in the frame.
Do you think the rear axle will bottom out off a hard launch with a set of 275 slicks?
- 90/10 shocks up front with 50/50 rear shocks stock moog 5598 (v6) front springs & stock rear springs.
- its a 350 sbc iron headed th350 trans b&m holeshot converter 2800-3200 stall 4.30 gear, 375 hp tops
- Also i noticed when you jack up the car with the rear suspension unloaded the comp engineering 3 way adjustable rear shocks almost over extended leaving the springs loose in there perchs, maybe install a set of limiter straps, don't want the springs to pop out.

Any input/suggestions would be great. thanks
IMG00759-20131030-0327.jpg
IMG00761-20131030-0328.jpg

Your bump stops are a last line of defense before the axle comes into contact with the frame. The only scenario that could happen to get to that condition would be if you theoretically jumped the car and it bottomed out.
It's the compressed travel of the rear shocks that will determine if the axle will touch the frame. I really don't think that's of concern here tho.
I too ran 90/10's up front and 50/50's out back with no problems.
As far as the springs being loose when jacking up the car with the rear end unloaded, that's normal. The car relys on the weight of the car to keep them in place. You won't have any problems with them falling out.
Why all the concern? Did/are you having problems with something?

Thanks for the reply!
No problems yet as the car is still in storage and i haven't gotten the chance to test it hard yet.
once i get it out of storage this spring ill be rompin on her hard so just wanted to run some of my concerns past everyone in case someone else was thinking the same thing. Also this is the first hot rod ive built so I wasn't really sure. thanks

Thanks for the reply!
No problems yet as the car is still in storage and i haven't gotten the chance to test it hard yet.
once i get it out of storage this spring ill be rompin on her hard so just wanted to run some of my concerns past everyone in case someone else was thinking the same thing. Also this is the first hot rod ive built so I wasn't really sure. thanks
No problem. If you're still concerned and have access to a welder, you could easily cut the bump stop brackets off the old diff and weld them on your 9". Just make sure to position them correctly, they need to be directly under the frame rails.
Otherwise, take her out, load 'er up on the converter, and launch it! Have fun and let us know how you do.

Have the same basic set-up as you, no problems.

Attachments

• IMG_4461_011.JPG
    IMG_4461_011.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 542
  • kyle.jpg
    kyle.jpg
    638.3 KB · Views: 392
Almost have the same set up and no problems yet
2013-02-06 10.18.02.jpg

thanks guys thats great, ill post some more pics this spring.

Attachments

• IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 295
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor