quick take-up master cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i recently upgraded my brakes to c5 fronts and ls1 rears. i did this in a two step process starting with the fronts. after changing the fronts i noticed the pedal travel a little long and a little softer then i thought it should be. it didn't improve with the addition of the rears. now i'm not saying they suck, they stop very well and they have been properly bled. they're just not as firm as i was expecting. i'm using the factory style master cylinder and am wondering if switching to a quick take-up style master cylinder from a mid-eighties body would change this condition?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm very interested to see what others think about this. My biggest knock on rear disc, even some O.E. setups, is a soft, low pedal.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
thank you for joining the conversation. but like i said,my pedal feel changed when the fronts were swapped. not the rears. about a dozen years ago i had swapped from the original gbody front brakes to 1996 corvette HD front brake set up. these were 13"x1" rotors and twin piston calipers. rear brakes were still the factory drums. this past monday i swapped out the front brakes to 2000 corvette 12.8"x1.25" rotors and corresponding twin piston calipers while still retaining the factory drum brakes. after bleeding the brakes, the pedal feel changed to a somewhat softer pedal. changing the rear brakes to discs did not alter this feel in any way.
so i'm looking for input. would changing to a quick take-up master cylinder bring me back to a more firm pedal? i don't know. maybe this is normal, maybe i just need to adjust to the new normal. kinda like putting on new shoes after wearing the old ones for 10 years.

Reactions: 1 user

Jdigitty88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2016
When I upgraded to Brembo's in a Talon i had before. The same thing happened the way i fixed it was with a bigger Master Cylinder for me it had to do with the calipers needing more volume of brake fluid.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
When I upgraded to Brembo's in a Talon i had before. The same thing happened the way i fixed it was with a bigger Master Cylinder for me it had to do with the calipers needing more volume of brake fluid.
thank you for the info. i know the c3 corvettes ran a larger bore m/c for the 4 wheel disc brakes, 1-1/8". the m//c for a 2000 corvette and z28 are 1". my m/c is 7/8" and the mid eighties gbodies are 15/16" with the quick take-up feature according to service manuals. since i have a quick take -up m/c and corresponding booster, i will probably start here.

would love to here the experiences of others who have gone this route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor