R12 to R134 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lildudefl

Master Mechanic
Aug 25, 2011
Las Vegas (Cali at Heart)
I would like to know what components have to be changed over for my AC system to be converted from R12 to the more environmentally safe R134. I currently do not have a compressor or condenser on my car but the rest of the system is still in tack. Could i just get the condenser and a newer R134 compatible compressor and just have the system charged? Anyone with experience on this please let me know... Thanks in advance :D

rlsllc

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2007
Ohio
I would replace the evaporator. They are hard to flush IMO. You will need a new receiver/dryer (don't install until you are ready for final assembly and charge), and flush the lines with a good A/C flush, although I have heard that brake parts cleaner works.

Replace the orfice tube and all O rings with ones for PAG oil. I put a little PAG oil on the O rings, but I do not know if it is right...works for me.

You can blow it out with dry nitrogen or even charge with it to check for leaks.

The condenser is the hardest to flush, so it is good that you are planning a new one anyway. Just make sure you distibute the oil throughout the system when you assemble, and pull a vacuum at least 3 times for a half hour each time, with a half hour between. I like a small cfm pump (2 or so) with a system this small.

You are correct that a new compressor will have the correct seals, but it may or may not come with oil in it.

I am going with all new parts when I do my SS. Best of luck, let us know how it comes out.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
They make stuff that's a direct replacement for R12 I think it's called R12a or something like that... I know a guy that used it and it works good. Blows way cold as any R134 or R12 system other than the R134 system in my F250 will make you shiver, I don't know why its so powerful but he did it in his 86 IROC. Costs about the same cans of R134 and way way less than R12 which is I think what like 75 dollars a pound?

Mikes83ss

Greasemonkey
Mar 14, 2011
las vegas,nevada
R12 will always be the best.That R134 crap doesn't cool half as good as the original.

Dave V

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2011
ok well i am going thru this right now and i had my system convereted and they did not do a good job and it failed so i am not putting in a new condensor new accumulator new compressor new lines and the evaperator has been flushed already and within the next 2 weeks i should be re charged so i will will ya all informed and if you in the la area i got a guy who is good to recharge the system he come to you and knows his stuff.

Dave

lildudefl

Master Mechanic
Aug 25, 2011
Las Vegas (Cali at Heart)
Dave V said:
ok well i am going thru this right now and i had my system convereted and they did not do a good job and it failed so i am not putting in a new condensor new accumulator new compressor new lines and the evaperator has been flushed already and within the next 2 weeks i should be re charged so i will will ya all informed and if you in the la area i got a guy who is good to recharge the system he come to you and knows his stuff.

Dave
Please let me know as soon as you get this dont and possibly wat replacement parts you used. I actually do live in los angeles and would love to have the contact info for you AC recharging guy. Thanks in advance

Likethat

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2011
I use Freeze12 and Envirosafe off of ebay on several cars now, that I converted from R12. I use 1 can of freeze12 then 2 cans of Envirosafe. It works very close to the old R12 vers R134a. I got my uncles car to blow 40* on a 90* day. His car is a 94 Roadmaster Estatewagon. Dryer, orfice tube and all O rings with R134a compatible O Rings, A good flush for sure. I would do hoses also since your replacing the compressor. I would get one that is converted to 134a already. I think most come that way any how. Check Rock Auto and around for the evaporator and such. My condenser on my 87 4x4 chevy got a crack in it, so I replaced every thing A/C in it, pump, hoes, condenser, evaporator, etc... It was close to $450 to replace every thing and charge it.

Dave V

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2011
ok here is my parts list so far

NEW GM Compressor R-4 Style for a 91 silverado $295.00

ACDelco A/C Cycling and Fan Control A/C Refrigerant Pressure Switch
Part No 15-2151 $32.79

Factory Air Orifice Tube
Part No 38902 $19.99

Factory Air O-Ring and Gasket Kit
Part No 26735 $5.49

Visteon A/C Condenser
Part No 2096 $123.00

ACDELCO Part # 151255 $42.79

getting custom made lines today so we will add that in as well.

The guy i use for a/c work is greg at mobile air 951-212-2427

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
kornball426 said:
They make stuff that's a direct replacement for R12 I think it's called R12a or something like that... I know a guy that used it and it works good. Blows way cold as any R134 or R12 system other than the R134 system in my F250 will make you shiver, I don't know why its so powerful but he did it in his 86 IROC. Costs about the same cans of R134 and way way less than R12 which is I think what like 75 dollars a pound?

Has no one noticed this response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor