R4 compressor bracket 68 sbo 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
So before I try and figure out a solution myself since searching has failed me I’m wondering if anyone has made the R4 compressor work on their sbo.

I have the
KC crank pulley
KH power steering
KF water pump
With the mid length water pump required by those pulleys I believe 5.5

I can’t really afford a different style compressor and the R4 is practically new and working fine.

Now that I have all the right pulleys and everything but the a/c lined up correctly I’m hoping I didn’t shoot my self in the foot and need different pulleys etc.

Based on looking at it it looks like a daunting task and honestly looks like I would probably be stupid for me to try but worth the ask.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Unfortunately the R4 didn't come out till the late 70's and I believe only came with the 5.95" or 6" water pump. How far out is it? Can you space it to match an open pulley?

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Unfortunately the only open pulley slot is the first one all the way out and I’d have to trim my shroud if I could safely space it that far but it’s quite a distance. I can probably figured it out just didn’t wanna reinvent the wheel in case someone had already done it. Thanks for the heads up on the water pump.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Which pulley is it closest too? I have ran one long belt when too lined up on the same pulley.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
That’s interesting wonder if I can get away with it without too much belt slap or bearing strain currently its closest to the slot closest to the motor which is the slot the currently runs on the pulleys for the alternator water pump power steering and crank.

Although thinking about it maybe I could use space the alternator out a bit more use the second groove for the alternator and then only run one belt on the power steering pump rather than 2 and just use that slot for the compressor.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That sounds like a good plan.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Though I wonder why there are two belts on the power steering pump to begin with?

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Looks like it may be possible though I’ll have to get longer hardware and make new spacers and hope this won’t cause an issue of strain on the head or brackets.though can anyone give me an idea as to why the power steering pump runs two belts to it?

I mean I could probably get a long enough belt to go to it all but I’d rather not considering I don’t want to chance belt slap or needing an idler pulley.

8ce082d114be914e739b93b27003941a.jpg
e793e1204b581a9c968737cb295833a1.jpg
d69cd581cf4b610837aa9eb46a1ca1b3.jpg

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Is one running the power steering and alternator and another just the power steering? If it is the inside pulley, which it looks like, then eliminate that belt and use that pulley for the A/C.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
The inside belt is running crank power steering alternator and water pump. Middle belt is running power steering crank and water pump.

My intention is to put the compressor on the inside belt but I don’t want to have to run a long enough belt to hit every single pulley like I’d have to do I’ll probably space the alternator to the middle belt and then run the compressor only to water pump crank and compressor and then leave only one belt on the power steering pulley

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor