R4 vs Sanden

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayPeasy

Apprentice
May 19, 2012
is it worth the trouble and money to convert brackets and lines to use a Sanden compressor when replacing, or does a new R4 give pretty much the same results? Someone has to know.....

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I prefer the Sanden unit over the R4. I think the Sanden is a much better unit, probably more reliable, and longer lasting than the R4.
They are the choice of street rodders. Whether it's cost effective....you'll have to do the research on that. Of course they are also used in the Vintage Air kits.

In fact, I too was thinking about converting over to a Sanden compressor.

JayPeasy

Apprentice
May 19, 2012
Longroof79 said:
I prefer the Sanden unit over the R4. I think the Sanden is a much better unit, probably more reliable, and longer lasting than the R4.
They are the choice of street rodders. Whether it's cost effective....you'll have to do the research on that. Of course they are also used in the Vintage Air kits.

In fact, I too was thinking about converting over to a Sanden compressor.

This is the bracket I'm considering, I'm still undecided tho.. IDK if the "probably" is worth the $$. LOL..
Hopefully someone has done the switch and will see this sooner or later.
Id really like to know how much of a difference it made, maybe someone has even used this bracket and can give me some advice, pointers, or a review of it..

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air-co ... de-209.php

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
A/C parts and components add up quickly, don't they? I assume there's a R4 in your car now. Have you priced out an R4 compressor?
I wouldn't waste my money on a refurb'd unit. They generally don't last that long.
That bracket doesn't look that bad, but they're not the only game in town.

JayPeasy

Apprentice
May 19, 2012
Longroof79 said:
A/C parts and components add up quickly, don't they? I assume there's a R4 in your car now. Have you priced out an R4 compressor?
I wouldn't waste my money on a refurb'd unit. They generally don't last that long.
That bracket doesn't look that bad, but they're not the only game in town.

hmm, its the only conversion bracket i've seen, anywhere.. I don't like the look of it, but i haven't seen another that replaces the existing bracket.. A full serpentine swap is the only other way that i have seen.. Thats a big reason i'm undecided. Please let me know where there is another replacement conversion bracket if you know of one. Thanks! :wink:

i have priced the R4's, they are about 200$.. I can get a conversion bracket and sanden compressor for about $300, but like i said, i really dont like the look of that bracket. heres a thread with a guy that has that bracket installed. it looks kinda hokey to me.

http://www.montecarloss.com/community/u ... Post975647

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Here's one that I saw on Speedway Motors site. It also happens to be a "scratch and dent" part. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sa ... 63226.html

As far as brackets are concerned, there's probably not a whole lot of choices out there.
As for the R4 compressors, I looked on RockAuto, and you're right, they're in the $200.00 range. Most are reman'd units, though. Some are AC Delco, some aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor