Race-only A-frame bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sittin Duck

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 23, 2019
My age is going to show. Back when 55-57 Chevies were more common at the dragstrip, one of the old suspension tricks was to grind the "teeth" from the inboard side of all four a-frame bushings, to allow quicker front end rise on the starting line.

I am going to rebuild the front end of my (Drag only) 80 Malibu with new Comp. Eng. 3-ways and Moroso coil springs. It would seem to be a good time to do ball joints etc.

The A-frame bushings appear to be original but having not disassembled them yet, I don't know if the above exercise is even possible or beneficial.

If this setup does not permit the above, what are you drag-only guys putting in your stock A-frames?

Thanks for your time.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Macguyver

SOUTHSIDE MACHINE PERFORMANCE
GBodyForum Sponsor
Mar 21, 2017

Attachments

• s-l1600 (5).png
    s-l1600 (5).png
    308.6 KB · Views: 224
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
The teeth grinding still works. There are other options like Del-a-lum bushings, but I went 1.21 with my stock front end chevelle with rubber replacement bushings.

Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yeah, there a tonne of low resistance options out there today - from bushings to ball joints.

The question is how much money or time do you have?

Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
there was a certain wagon that used to pull the wheels on the regular,after selling the car he posted a picture claiming the removal of the bump stop area in the upper freed up a lot of travel.it's cheap and if you're clearancing the bushings your already there anyways.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor