Race weights anybody???

Status
Not open for further replies.

copperhead

Apprentice
Aug 25, 2016
nixa, MO
just wondering what the lightest you've all gotten your cars to. Just got a message from my fab guy saying my 86 cutlass without engine and trans is 1300. It should weigh in right at 2000 after install.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I haven't put my 442 on the scale yet but I am hoping for no more than 3500 lbs after pulling the Olds motor and putting in the all aluminum 6.2L.
The car is still loaded with AC and all options, some of them weren't available from the factory like passenger 6 way power seat but it has an aluminum hood, aluminum bumpers and brackets. I figure the new and improved 2016 Camaro still weighs in at around 3760 so I'm doing good.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
When we raced G bodies in circle track the minimum weight we could run was 3050. We would strip the car completely, windows, lights, wiring and just leave the sheet metal. We'd have a full cage with hoops front and back and we would try to get the car as light as possible so we could add weight to the back to try to get the weight bias more even. We could only get the car down to about 2750 lbs before we added lead weights. I would like to know what is left of the car to get it on the road with only 2,000 lbs.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Maybe he's referring to the weight in kilograms?

Reactions: 1 user

copperhead

Apprentice
Aug 25, 2016
nixa, MO
It's completely stripped of everything to include excess metal. no trim, no t tops, fiberglass doors with no lexan, fiberglass hood and decklid, aluminum radiator and support, fiberglass bumpers with aluminum supports, qa1 coilovers and control arms front and rear. The firewall, floor and trunk floor are all aluminum. Basically if it's not fiberglass it's aluminum and if it's not aluminum it's what's left of the sheet metal. Nothing on this car has been left untouched. No it's not tube chassis and it likely never will be. It'll be getting an lm7/t56 soon enough. Thanks for all the replies guys.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I'm hoping for 26-2700 on my new Sonoma project.

IMG_5440.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Last time I weighed mine it was 3280. I have added, subtracted and modified pieces and parts since then so unsure now. On the list for spring tasks.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor