OLDS Radiator choices for Olds G

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I am ready to buy a new radiator for the silver car, however, I want something that will actually do a good job. I have the original shroud, mechanical fan and hardware. I also have a Derale dual fan setup with 120A relays that I could use (with two mechanical temp sensors driving the relays). I really need a high capacity rad to keep this cool with A/C in the Florida summer heat. The 951 Modine doesn't quite keep up AND the Champion that I bought has automatic trans cooling lines fittings that are too deep for stock lines. They never bottom before running out of threads. Leak all to hell. Don't know if the Champion is better since I can't use it.

Anyway, I can put the Modine back in, but I can't really drive in the summer like that with the A/C on.

Any good suggestions? I saw the Cold Case debacle with oldmansmonte, so I guess I am gonna stay away from them. I really want to order something right now.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Is the Champion a universal fit? I recently installed universal Griffen in my Regal and found they use a 1/4" NPT fitting so you need an adapter fitting to run stock trans lines.

Reactions: 1 user

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Well, it's been years since I bought it and IIRC, it was specifically for the G.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Also, what are the stock radiator inlet and outlet sizes from the factory?

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
It was a bit pricy, but in 2002 I bought a be cool radiator for my 85 442 and it’s still in perfect working condition. Probably one of the oldest mechanical parts on the entire car.

It actually cooled so well that I put in a warmer thermostat cause my fuel injection didn’t like it running so cool.

Fot right in the stock location, but the upper hose outlet was 1.5, so I had to use a upper radiator hose for a 78-80 Olds 350.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Be Cool has no option for Olds on their site anymore.

• Sad

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Well, it's been years since I bought it and IIRC, it was specifically for the G.
The Champion 3 row that I bought about 5 years for my Regal fit with no issues and the trans lines never leaked but I decided to upgrade this year for extreme cooling but had to give up on the factory Olds radiator top plate and shroud since this Griffen is so big.
I decided to also remove the clutch fan set up and added the Intrepid dual fans plus added two 12" fans to my AC condenser.
IMG_20211231_205423927.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
Be Cool has no option for Olds on their site anymore.
I think the PN is 60018. It should still be on Jegs or Summit. Will need a aux trans cooler. I have mine running with AC and no issues. Like I said I’m sold because of the quality and longevity of the radiator.

C21CAECB-68E0-41C8-BC6D-B56A4E0E043F.jpeg

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
If I need to get an aux trans cooler, I could just get the aux cooler and use the Champion rad I already have. Maybe I should just do that. I was trying to find a badass rad with the integrated cooler, though.

• Agree
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I usually bypass the cooler in the rad and go remote. What size is your Champion? I trimmed the rad cradle slightly to fit a plastic/aluminum wider A body rad. The GN rubber shrouding that directs all the air through the rad, made a noticeable difference. I should have done it when I had the 403 in my 88 CSC, always ran hot. I have heard good things about these. The size is right, the year is a typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor