Radiator core/Fender issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty1987

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2017
Trying to figure out why my fender will not sit on the radiator core support, there is about an inch and a half gap and im not sure why.. are the bushings wrong? The fender well wrong? Major gap also from that.. any help would be great, thanks guys..

Attachments

• IMG_20170823_204825.jpg
    IMG_20170823_204825.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 349

Cutty1987

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2017
Pic 6.. fender well gap, shouldnt it be touching the frame?

Attachments

• IMG_20170823_210057.jpg
    IMG_20170823_210057.jpg
    819.7 KB · Views: 249

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Maybe the weight from the engine is forcing the frame down in the front since the jack stands are under the number 2 bushings. Try jacking the front up from under the engine cradle and see if that changes things.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
The below tips assume the body and frame are not tweaked from an accident
THE TIPS BELOW ARE IN APPROXIMATE ADJUSTMENT SEQUENCE - the way I did it and learned as I went along.
1) car weight must be on matching wheel sizes, inflated to spec, good springs, on level ground
2) 2 -7 body mounts must be good and torqued to spec
3) hinges must be good and doors need to be aligned as good as they can be, paying attention to the door striker gap, fit of the side contour(will never be perfect) the gap at bottom lip and the gaps at the hinges - if the doors are not correct everything else will be off
>length of doors must be close to equal - if not, compensate hinge locations(my doors had a 1/8" difference)
4) the lower rear fender attachment ears and fit onto lower bracket must be right - shim as needed
-the only fender contact points will be where the bolt positions are
5) the upper rear fender mount usually needs a shim or two
6) rad core bushings need to be good and torqued correctly - you may or not need 0 to 2 washers under mounts depending on fender alignment
- rad core can be adjusted left to right, forward or back, up or down to suit fenders
7) install fender liners last
8) the header panel(nose) determines the space between the fronts of both fenders

The factory publishes fit and gap specs - I feel it's best to trust your eyes for best looking final assembly

ps; I spent 12 hours to adjust everything from the doors forward for the most pleasing fit on my 86 ss.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
As I understand, the front (#1) bushing is flipped upside down compared to the other ones on the frame. And you would use any spacers (IE more than one) that came off of the car on disassembly. Was this the original Rad Support for this car?

Hutch

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
A pic of my fender well gap.

P1120093.JPG
P1120041.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor