Radiator Petcock replacement size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Long story short, the plastic radiator petcock broke in my '88 Caprice, the one with the long end. I believe it's the same one most G Body's use, but I don't know which Dorman replacement to use.

Or is there an alternative metal piece I can use that bolts in? Thx.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
NAPA Part number 605-1375. Hope that helps
Thanks Jorge. I'm gonna see if it fits, or if the threads are stripped. Thinking I might just take it to the rad place too, see if they can seal the hole.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
Thanks Jorge. I'm gonna see if it fits, or if the threads are stripped. Thinking I might just take it to the rad place too, see if they can seal the hole.
Sure. Should be what your looking for. It is a plastic drain c*ck so if the plug is stripped the bung in the radiator should be metal and shouldn't be stripped. Metal is alot stronger then plastic

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Sure. Should be what your looking for. It is a plastic drain c*ck so if the plug is stripped the bung in the radiator should be metal and shouldn't be stripped. Metal is alot stronger then plastic
So I went to a local rad repair shop, and they got me the plastic part and installed it within minutes. Honestly, I wish I had of used them before spending $20 at two part stores, because they were special orders which didn't even fit.

Also added a bunch of plastic weld on top of the plug, just to be on the safe side. Never ever using the drain petcock for a radiator change again.

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
So I went to a local rad repair shop, and they got me the plastic part and installed it within minutes. Honestly, I wish I had of used them before spending $20 at two part stores, because they were special orders which didn't even fit.

Also added a bunch of plastic weld on top of the plug, just to be on the safe side. Never ever using the drain petcock for a radiator change again.
Good that u were to get it fixed at a good price. 👍

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Good that u were to get it fixed at a good price. 👍
For sure, I really appreciate the part number by the way. If someone else I know run's into a similar problem I will definitely share it.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Sure. Weird that those parts stores didn't have it in stock. I stock 2 of them.
I tried NAPA earlier in the week, but the lady at the counter said their warehouse didn't have any. Luckily, if I had to order the part, the number you gave me had a listing for eBay which would have been an alternative solution probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor