MONTE CARLO Radiator Reservior Boiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckfenn1

Greasemonkey
Oct 16, 2020
Hey guys need second opinion. Today my 1982 Monte Carlo 305in radiator coolant jug started boiling and spitting out all the water and antifreeze. I check radiator and its not leaking. I parked it let it cool off and added more water and coolant. When I was driving home the engine start rattling and loosing power. Didnt think it would make it home. By the time I drove 10 minutes home the coolant jug was boiling over again. I hope its not blown head gasket or something serious with the engine. YOUR THOUGHTS!!!

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It could be a thermostat or water pump on the way out or possible blockage in the cooling system.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Hey guys need second opinion. Today my 1982 Monte Carlo 305in radiator coolant jug started boiling and spitting out all the water and antifreeze. I check radiator and its not leaking. I parked it let it cool off and added more water and coolant. When I was driving home the engine start rattling and loosing power. Didnt think it would make it home. By the time I drove 10 minutes home the coolant jug was boiling over again. I hope its not blown head gasket or something serious with the engine. YOUR THOUGHTS!!!
If there is no visible leaks, finish your driving for today, and have it cool down for 5-6 hours if you haven't so already.

Then turn on the heat on the dash and fans as much you can, and take off your radiator cap. Start the car for 30 mins or so, and every 5 min rev the 305 up, while squeezing the top rad hose gently.

After throw on the rad cap, shut the motor down and drive it once things have cooled down aight.

If it still boils, replace your stat and repeat my steps. Only after that if no change then see about flushing rad and heater core.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Trouble - if the coolant temp gauge is normal or idiot light is not coming on, then head gasket or head.

Sounds like a fabulous time for something other than the 305.

chuckfenn1

Greasemonkey
Oct 16, 2020
hey guys you wouldnt believe what the cause was!! i noticed my battery gauge wasnt charging so I went to check the alternator area and the belt for alternator, water pump was gone. so I replaced the belt added water and coolant and now its running fine...SMH..

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
hey guys you wouldnt believe what the cause was!! i noticed my battery gauge wasnt charging so I went to check the alternator area and the belt for alternator, water pump was gone. so I replaced the belt added water and coolant and now its running fine...SMH..
Damn! Most times it’s not that simple, got lucky there for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor