Radiator rodding

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
I have an old school 4 core all metal brass tank radiator that got plugged up. I took it out of the 79 Malibu wagon. The car now has an LT1 swap that is using the Fbody radiator.

Is this all metal 4 core radiator worth the cost of rodding and repair by a radiator shop or should I just scrap it?

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I always use them if possible, so yes. IMO it's worth it. In fact I just paid Brass works 1000 to redo the radiator in my 69 Cougar because I didn't want some cheapie repop or an aftermarket aluminum. So take it for what it's worth. Copper/Brass is kick *ss

Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My original G-body was a 1981 Malibu wagon. When I plopped a Pontiac 400 in it I needed cooling. I found a 3 row brass narrow V-6 radiator in a junkyard and had it boiled out and cleaned up by a shop. That thing lasted for YEARS and always cooled the 400. I would absolutely use it.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Being a 4 core, it is the most worthwhile to recore. As said, expect it to cost a pretty penny, very few shops left.

Reactions: 1 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Plan on spending some money in it needs a recore. Prices have gone way up since I used to do them. Rodding it out is dependent on if fins are in good shape and if the tubes are tender. Only the radiator shop can tell you. They used to “boil” them out but I’m not sure if that is still done.( IE: hot caustic bath for a set amount of time.) Of you can have it flow tested and back flushed which is faster and less chance of perforating the tubes.
If you go with a recore ask how much extra and if available to get a high fine count core( better cooling 22 fpi vs.16 to 18 fins per inch). I know it not a number matching thing being the year, but the tanks are worth money if you don’t have it done. They are getting harder to find as guys switch over to aluminum and restoration stuff/numbers matching is up there. If the radiator has a steal tag on it to the solder lip of the tank you can find out what it came out of. Hope this helps!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If the goal is to use it to cool a Gbody I would say as long as it costs less to repair than it would to buy a new good quality all aluminum radiator with 2 x 1' tubes which will cool equal or greater than your 4 row copper/brass then go for it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor