Radio, Dash, and Antenna questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

1984Hurst/Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2012
Monroe Center, IL
I have a bunch of questions regarding radio wiring, 'wood grain' dash pieces, and power antenna.

First off, I'm selling my '87 Cutlass Salon, and I was going to change the radios between that, and my '84 H/O. But, the clod who owned the H/O before me, put a crappy aftermarket radio in it, and GLUED it to the woodgrain trim piece! Can you say IDIOT? Anyway, of course, the connectors have been cut off, and I wrote down all the wires, and what they were connected to, and thought it wouldn't be a big deal to switch it over, but I have a couple of problems.

The main one, is that the 'woodgrain' trim piece is darker on the '84, compared to the '87. So, I won't be able to switch them, as obviously the colors will be a lot different.

Second, is that the power antenna doesn't work on the '84. I did find out (from messing with the '87), that the pink wire is the one that raises the antenna, but I don't know which color wire lowers it? If I open the glove box door all the way, and trace the wires, I can see the pink one is also combined with a red wire, but I don't know where the red wire goes to? And, if I put 12V to the pink wire, I can hear a 'clicking' noise coming from the lower right of the glove box door. I'm assuming that there is some sort of relay, or something there?

So, with my long-winded rant, I need to find out if I can even obtain another 'dark' woodgrain piece for my '84, and if anyone knows exactly how the power antenna works, that would be great! The base of the antenna (in the fender) is 'loose', as it moves about. So, I don't know if I'll need another antenna, or not. If so, are these hard to come by?

Also, are the connectors hard to come by? Now that I have everything written down, if I do get another radio, and woodgrain piece, I'd be able to get the connectors, and wire everything correctly!

So, for now, I'll be forced to sell the '87 with a really nice AM/FM/Cassette, with a jack for an I-Pod. I guess I'll have to buy another one from that guy on Ebay, if I can get another dark woodgrain piece for my '84! If anyone can tell me what year they switched to the lighter woodgrain, I'd also appreciate it. I guess I'm asking if the dark woodgrain was only on the '84, and/or only the Hurst/Olds?

Thanks,
John

Attachments

• 84-87 Woodgrain Piecs Resized.JPG
    84-87 Woodgrain Piecs Resized.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 3,249

1984Hurst/Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2012
Monroe Center, IL
littlerascle59 said:

Thanks for your help! The connectors are the exact ones, and the first link for the bezel is the right one. The second one is for an old style radio.

Now, I also appreciate "pontiacgp" for sending me the antenna diagram, but can you guys answer the question as to the problem I'm having? Like I said, I put some power to the pink wire (which on the '87, is the antenna 'up' hot), and I just hear a clicking noise coming from the lower corner of the glove box area. So, is that a bad relay, or what? The antenna is in the up position now. And, I'm not set yet, to hook up the battery cables. I just used a battery charger, and hooked up to that pink wire. I don't know where the red wire goes to, or else I'd try that, and see if the antenna would go back down. But, when I shut the car off (around 2 years ago!), I do know that the antenna wasn't working, and was stuck in the up position. Plus, the power antenna wire on the aftermarket stereo was not hooked up, so I'm assuming that either someone disabled the antenna, so it would stay in the up position, or the antenna is malfunctioning.

If someone could answer what might be wrong, and if it is the antenna, are they readily available? I know I can't find one on RockAuto.com.

Thanks,
John

1984Hurst/Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2012
Monroe Center, IL
littlerascle59 said:
These are the connectors you'll need.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251229179995&index=14&nav=SEARCH&nid=10149975417

As far as the dash trim piece is concerned, the 85 and earlier woodgrain type is sold on here all the time.

I just bought these from him, and also asked if he had that other black plug, that plugs into a separate part of the radio, and has the brown, and orange wires to it. Hopefully, he'll have those, too. I'm not exactly sure what those do, but it would be nice to have that connector.

Thanks,
John

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Darker woodgrain was used 1985 & older. The lighter woodgrain was 86-88. You will have to get a radio bezel from a 84-85, since the '83 & earlier used a different style radio.

littlerascle59

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2009
Mississippi
1984Hurst/Olds said:
littlerascle59 said:
These are the connectors you'll need.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251229179995&index=14&nav=SEARCH&nid=10149975417

As far as the dash trim piece is concerned, the 85 and earlier woodgrain type is sold on here all the time.

I just bought these from him, and also asked if he had that other black plug, that plugs into a separate part of the radio, and has the brown, and orange wires to it. Hopefully, he'll have those, too. I'm not exactly sure what those do, but it would be nice to have that connector.

Thanks,
John
Not sure which connector you're talking about but I'll looking shortly. I might have that connector laying around somewhere but I'm highly unorganized so it might take a sec to find it. Lol
As far as your power antenna is concerned, mine wasn't working because the previous owner hacked all the wires on mine too. I had to basically find all the old wires off of a donor car and fix all the wires according to the diagram in my manual. Once I did that mine worked just fine. If you've done this and it doesn't work then the power antenna motor could be faulty; I'm not sure if it has a relay or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor