Radio wiring issue on 1985 Olds 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2010
Niagara Falls
Anybody know which wire causing the issue! the problem is when I turn on my car lights the the factory radio display goes out! no clock or radio station display. When I turn lights off radio display comes back on. Also when I use the lighter the the fuse blows on clock/lighter. I think It"s one of the radio harness wires. The radio has been removed quite a few times with aftermarket stereos and then back to factory stereo, currently has AC delco am/fm cassette with EQ. Lots of wires in radio wiring harness have been cut and taped up and spliced. My best guess is either a black ground wire or orange hot wire. Anybody know where to start looking!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
In that generation of Delco radios, there is usually a seperate 2 wire (orange and brown or black) connector that is linked to the outside lamps. Or the dimmer is dialed all the way down.

On the lighter,sounds like there might be a short to ground in the orange wire since the lighter blows the fuse.

An OE shop manual, either printed or on disc, is invaluable in these kind of problems, as wiring changes a lot from carlinr to carline and year to year.

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Oh, and the lighter element is bad. Get a new one before you burn your car down like my neighbor did.
i chucked mine in the woods after the 43rd time popping the fuse. usb charger works flawlessly. dont smoke anyway. the eggheads say its bad for ya. :p

Reactions: 1 user

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2010
Niagara Falls
Anybody know which wire causing the issue! the problem is when I turn on my car lights the the factory radio display goes out! no clock or radio station display. When I turn lights off radio display comes back on. Also when I use the lighter the the fuse blows on clock/lighter. I think It"s one of the radio harness wires. The radio has been removed quite a few times with aftermarket stereos and then back to factory stereo, currently has AC delco am/fm cassette with EQ. Lots of wires in radio wiring harness have been cut and taped up and spliced. My best guess is either a black ground wire or orange hot wire. Anybody know where to start looking!

Found the one problem a gray wire was disconnected from one of radio wires. Display is good now. But still popping fuse on lighter when lighter is pushed in, I will put lighter away in glove box for now, never use it anyway.

Reactions: 1 user

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2010
Niagara Falls
Found one problem a gray wire was disconnected from one of radio wires, it was only twisted on and came off. Crimped it on with a connector now. Display works properly now. But still popping fuse when lighter pushed on, putting that lighter away in glove box for now, never use it anyway. Will try and fix that one another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor