Radioheads needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Around 2003 or so GM started linking the car radio Theftlock feature to the vehicles VIN. When you turn on the radio it checks the BCM for the VIN and if it is not correct- it won't work. For swapping into a similar car you need to get a stealership to program the new VIN into the radio. There are a limited number of attempts to get it right but If you mess around with it long enough it will permanently disable the radio. So if I wanted to install a 2005 Delco radio with this feature into an old car like ours, would it work? Does it need a VIN to operate or will it see no VIN and not activate the Theftlock? I have the '05 factory manual and one of the radio wires is labeled "Class 2 Serial data". I assume that is the link to the BCM. All the other wires are normal radio stuff like speakers, power, etc. If eliminating that wire disables the Theftlock it would seem too easy to believe, but if not, then it would indicate that this radio will only work with '03 and up cars.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Honestly, I don't believe it was tied into the CANBUS/Datatlink, and the code was factory, dealer, or user set. Now, if you don't know said code, it could be troublesome to unlock. I have a Monsoon out of a 2002 F-body in unknown condition (never tested it- looks okay) for shipping cost if you're so inclined.

Metra makes harnesses where you could be plug-n-play.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
No, that is where it differs. The old way was to set up your own security code and write it down if needed. You can even get an unlock code from GM and reprogram it yourself. No, now the radio talks to the BCM and locks it down if it sees the wrong VIN. But they don't say what happens if it sees no VIN. On the GM Delco site a guy asked if his radio would work in a boat and they replied that it would because there would be no VIN. But if that is true then all you need to do is cut that wire. Sounds too easy.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yeah, a bench test is indicated. I just wanted to know first before I purchased the Metra connectors and install kit. It adds up quick.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
A friend of mine in the business did a Caddi around that year and with the aftermarket radio installed he could not get the car started. He tried to work around the security but ended up wiring the original radio in the trunk of a Caddi so it would start.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, it is a double DIN. But if you take off our dash bezel there is a huge cavity under the heater controls. If it did not fit I could remove some material from the sides or bottom too. I have a few extra dash bezels so I could make it look factory with some fabrication. It would be a custom fit with the install kit and probably some more fabrication but I'm pretty good at that stuff. Before you think I am crazy and why not just get an aftermarket whizz bang unit- I have a custom reconditioned factory AM/FM radio/CD player that plays MP3/CD's and has an aux jack so I can plug my MP3 player right in. It works great and I hate the new radios that you need a PhD to operate. I just need to know if the Theftlock won't engage with no BCM hooked up. I will bench test it but I need the connector that plugs into the radio so I can simulate an installation.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
there are people who post on Craigslist all the time with a service to fix this problem. try contacting them and see what they say

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Ok I bench tested the radio. It went on for a few minutes and then went off. Removing and reconnecting power caused the same scenario. I read that this is "test" mode and without the VIN it shuts off. Re-checking the '05 wiring diagram shows a constant 12 at all times going to the radio and a serial data link. So I take that as 12 volts to power just the clock and memory. Then when you turn the radio on the serial bus wire gets the VIN from the BCM and tells the radio it is OK to operate. Then it connects internally to the 12 volts. Thus- no serial data- no work. Back to the drawing board.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor