Rally gauge oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleWanderlust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 19, 2022
Hey Everyone,

My oil pressure gauge swings wildly back and forth at idle and low rpm. While driving however it holds steady at just above 30. I’m thinking it maybe a vacuum leak but could it also be normal? Temp gauge stays steady and just below 220 once warmed up and doesn’t change with driving.

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
Hey Everyone,

My oil pressure gauge swings wildly back and forth at idle and low rpm. While driving however it holds steady at just above 30. I’m thinking it maybe a vacuum leak but could it also be normal? Temp gauge stays steady and just below 220 once warmed up and doesn’t change with driving.
Mine does the same thing and so does the speedometer (though not a wild). Hopefully someone will chime in with some ideas on a fix!

Reactions: 1 user

IdleWanderlust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 19, 2022
Mine does the same thing and so does the speedometer (though not a wild). Hopefully someone will chime in with some ideas on a fix!
I’m thinking it might be the wrong pressure sensor installed. There are two types one for the dummy light dash and one for the rally gauges. I ordered a 60psi pressure sensor and when it arrives I’ll let you know if it made a difference.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
If you are running the OEM, Just replace the sender. Sounds like the wiper or resistor is worn out, dirty or both. Could also be dirt build up in the line drilled in the block that feeds the sensor.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
On the Speedo cable it just needs greased. But easier to just replace. If you have the split cable that comes with the speed control, you can try the short cable first.

Doing dash work isn't difficult, just takes some extra finesse plus remember you are working with 40 year old plastic pieces that used to love to break back when car was still on warranty.

The tool to grease Speedo cable might still be available, not sure. The old method was to remove the cable at the transmission and using tool pump grease into the sheath. It's a specific type similar to the spray can lithium.

Reactions: 1 user

DB87442

Apprentice
Nov 27, 2021
Cartersville, GA
I’m thinking it might be the wrong pressure sensor installed. There are two types one for the dummy light dash and one for the rally gauges. I ordered a 60psi pressure sensor and when it arrives I’ll let you know if it made a difference.
Good catch... let me know if the other one works.

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA
The oil sender for the rallye gauge (top) is much bigger than the one for the idiot light (bottom).
download (2).jpeg

ado-c8020_jp_xl.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor