442 Rally Gauge Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
Recently purchased a 1987 Cutlass Supreme 442. The gauges worked properly until a few days ago, when everything stopped working except the tach. After a few minutes, the gauges started functioning correctly and I figured it was due to the cold, wet weather. Today, the same thing happened, but the coolant gauge started working and nothing else. The coolant gauge continued to climb up to 220 very quickly, so I shut the car off. I felt the upper coolant hose (luke warm) and the rocker cover (luke warm). I'm thinking it is a rally cluster/dash problem, but the coolant gauge has me stumped. Can the electrical connections to the gauge cluster be the problem or is it something else? If it's the gauge cluster, any tips on removal/repair? Any assistance is appreciated.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
coincidentally I am working on the rally gages on my 84 HO.

I came across this video that I thought was quite good regarding fixing common problems with the gages

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
coincidentally I am working on the rally gages on my 84 HO.

I came across this video that I thought was quite good regarding fixing common problems with the gages

That's wild. I just looked it up and watched it a few minutes ago. Thanks for the info anyway. It may be time to consider rebuild, replace, or upgrade to digital. Anyone have a digital upgraded gauge cluster that they'd recommend so I can consider my options?

Mike T

Greasemonkey
Mar 25, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
I'm not a big electrical guy but I would think that for all the gauges to go out at once, it would have to be a common ground issue. I had the same problem with a cranky old 78 Malibu and if memory serves, it was a ground wire.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
I'm not a big electrical guy but I would think that for all the gauges to go out at once, it would have to be a common ground issue. I had the same problem with a cranky old 78 Malibu and if memory serves, it was a ground wire.
Thanks for the info. After researching, I found a common problem to the rally gauge cluster is a ground wire coming loose or losing contact, but none of the research, that I've done, describes where the ground wire is specifically located on the back of the cluster. Most ground wires, that I've seen, are black but not always the case. Hopefully, someone on the forum will know from their experience of removing the gauge cluster.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
I would first check the ground strap in back of the engine driver side to the fire wall.

Reactions: 1 user

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
When you do find it, take it off clean the ends of it. Where it bolts to the fire wall clean it to bare metal

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
Thanks. I usually seal the ends of large braided grounds with rubber silicone. Is the wire the large braided type, and is this ground the primary ground for the gauge cluster?

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Yes its the large braided type. Its one the main ground wires to the body. It supplies ground to most of electrical components not just your cluster. If you look at your gas tank it has one on it and the other end is screwed into the body but smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor