rallys on my 81malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
Aftermarket axle shafts maybe?

Can't imagine why someone would drill the flange for a second set of studs unless it was a different pattern.

Rally wheels are available in different bolt patterns also, might start by checking to see what exactly you're working with

And FWIW, people do weird stuff to old cars (new ones too, I guess), often with no apparent logical reason
thank you for the reply. i made a mistake on this project. rear bolt pattern is 4.3/4. my rallys are 4 1/2. never thought much about chevy bolt pattern in the past but i do now. i have a nice little stash of rallys that i have used on different hot rods over the years. figured this was a chevy on chevy swap. Wrong. glad i'm only out the cost of mounting and balance and not the cost of two wheels. still cannot figure why they went with 1/2" studs on the rear. i'll get a couple of aftermarket rallys with correct bolt pattern. thanks again

Reactions: 1 user

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
If you have rallye wheels with a 4 1/2 bolt pattern then they are aftermarket. Rallye's came in 4 3/4 for a 15x8 only. They only came on corvettes from the factory.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
If you have rallye wheels with a 4 1/2 bolt pattern then they are aftermarket. Rallye's came in 4 3/4 for a 15x8 only. They only came on corvettes from the factory.
thanks for the reply. my 71 vette with 15x8 rallys are 4 1/2 bp. my nice little stash of rallys from 15x6 through 15x8 are all 4 1/2 bp. my two aftermarket rallys from vision wheels are 15x6 and i ordered them with 4 1/2 bp. all my rallys are genuine gm with the numbers still on them. i will be ordering 2 15x8x4 3/4 bp this time around. i will not make this mistake again on my chevy hot rods. most of my time was spent with engines,trans,rearends, and everything else except bolt pattern. not anymore. thanks again.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
thanks for the reply. my 71 vette with 15x8 rallys are 4 1/2 bp.
Everything I look up shows a 71' Vette should have 5 x 4.75" bolt pattern so I am wondering how yours has 4-1/2".
Pictures would be very helpful in this post also.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I think you're measuring incorrectly, Chevrolet division never used 5x4.5 pattern on anything that came with rally wheels.

Measure from the center of a stud to the outside edge of the third stud to get pattern

2a4cf21e5dcd3e379c25b0790bf0ad18.gif

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
I think you're measuring incorrectly, Chevrolet division never used 5x4.5 pattern on anything that came with rally wheels.

Measure from the center of a stud to the outside edge of the third stud to get pattern

i think your right. i was measuring from the back of the lug to the front of the (inside) of the third stud. my measurement showed 4 1/2. when i measure your way it's 4 3/4. i took a picture but i think i have solved my problem now. i will soon graduate from the school of hard knocks. also vision rallys are lug centric and i'll use some hub centric rings to make mine hub centric. thanks for the education people.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017

just went out a measured the american racing mags and they are a five inch bp with 1/2 inch studs. the lug nut says 1/2x20 on the side. i measured them per your photo. there are also 5 unused holes in the axle flange. could they be for a 4 3/4 bp with stock studs? this is the rear we are talking about. could the po installed these lugs to match the wheels he had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor