RAMROD 350 GOING IN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
I reserved the hoist for Saturday, which also gives me Sunday. The engine and transmission will go in and get bolted down. Any other scenario than this will be followed by a large bonfire!
tongue.gif
Then I can start all the hookups. I had the intake on, but I didn't like the shallow bolts for the hoist chain, so off it came...and then I remembered all the clamoring about using/not using the Turkey tray....so best that I start again. I am going with Greg Rollins (Supercars Unlimited) advice on this one! I still am worried about the height of the 7111 but that will come at steps 26 and 27. Step one is getting it in and secured! That may be enough for this weekend. Depends on the heat and how hard I have to work to get it in! I might have some help from my tiny wife, all 92 pounds of her. The only place I can't be two places is driveline to transmission, then engine onto mounts. This is the first Sat/Sun only weekend since summer started. I had been working 4-10's and had Mondays off but most of them were squandered awaiting pieces and parts. I feel I wasted a whole buncha time this Summer and hopefully it will be smooth sailing after the weekend to get it moving itself around again.

Reactions: 3 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I reserved the hoist for Saturday, which also gives me Sunday. The engine and transmission will go in and get bolted down. Any other scenario than this will be followed by a large bonfire!
tongue.gif

I feel I wasted a whole buncha time this Summer and hopefully it will be smooth sailing after the weekend to get it moving itself around again.
I hear ya! Too many weekends keeping the family going. 200lb me would love help...too many zip codes away. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
I hear ya! Too many weekends keeping the family going. 200lb me would love help...too many zip codes away. Good luck!

Thank you. I am too many zip codes from a lot! Autozone is 27 miles, O'Reilly's is 26 miles, NAPA is 22 miles, Walmart 22, IGA is in my zip haha. My 32 year old has a pickup and lives 20 miles away but I am using my little hatchback to transport the hoist to lift a 700 pound engine into a car by myself ...it is what it is. I will actually be concerned if it takes me more than a couple hours with all the hook up before I lift it. It was so easy to get the V6 out. Have a great weekend!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
When I do solo engine lift, I keep a couple things taped to the hoist. Couple wedges to block the wheels when I have the thing in just right spot. One or two pieces of 3-4 foot rope to tie off the engine to the hoist to keep it from spinning and smacking fragiles like the A/C enclosure or the brake reservoir while lowering it into place. Prybar to align the motor mounts (not sure if this applies to non-Chevy). Mover's blanket to put over the header panel. Take off the grille so it does not die an accidental death. If you won't do the transmission at the same time, cut a 2x4 to fit across the step inside the fenders where the hood sits - small ratchet strap can be used to hold the back of the engine balanced on the motor mounts while you reposition the car to bring the trans up from underneath. Use another ratchet strap across the front of the transmission to keep the torque converter from falling out when you're wrestling it into place.

Not all this advice applies to your project, but I still have all ten fingers - must have helped.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
When I do solo engine lift, I keep a couple things taped to the hoist. Couple wedges to block the wheels when I have the thing in just right spot. One or two pieces of 3-4 foot rope to tie off the engine to the hoist to keep it from spinning and smacking fragiles like the A/C enclosure or the brake reservoir while lowering it into place. Prybar to align the motor mounts (not sure if this applies to non-Chevy). Mover's blanket to put over the header panel. Take off the grille so it does not die an accidental death. If you won't do the transmission at the same time, cut a 2x4 to fit across the step inside the fenders where the hood sits - small ratchet strap can be used to hold the back of the engine balanced on the motor mounts while you reposition the car to bring the trans up from underneath. Use another ratchet strap across the front of the transmission to keep the torque converter from falling out when you're wrestling it into place.

Not all this advice applies to your project, but I still have all ten fingers - must have helped.

Thanks that is great info! Engine and trans together but the twisting was always tricky. The A/C is gone but I know the trick is inches at a time, slow and easy does it. I am in no hurry, I have the hoist for 2 days. I have my jack and a 4 x 4 underneath so the trans gets supported too.

I can't wait to get it in!

Chuck

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If the trans has oil in it, stuff a yoke in it or buy a yoke plug at the parts store. Keep a bag of cat litter handy for runaway trans oil. Leave the dipstick tube out until the drivetrain is in. Plug the hole in the transmission with a rag and don't lose the rubber bushing. You can use a ratchet strap as a tilter, pulling up on the front of the engine. Leave the crank pulley off so it does not get damaged on the way in.
DSC_3844.JPG DSCN4605.JPG DSCN2122.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Actually, let me correct that. The trans will tilt the rig by itself. Use the ratchet strap to hold up the trans end. Or use a movers dolly under the tailhousing so it can roll back while lowering it in.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor