RANT!! Outrageous prices to paint my 84 hurst!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surface rust is a bigger PITA than you think. To deal with it correctly, the area needs to be blasted and treated, not just sanded. otherwise, the rust will come back. This can take some time to do correctly. As for dealing with straight rust free cars needing a respray, I did a quickie respray on my pizza delivery truck a few years back. It was only 6 or 7 years old at the time and had never left Florida, so it had no real rust to speak of ( a little surface crap in the bed where it was scratched). The only real issue was peeling white paint, and 2 dents that in total maybe took me 3 hours to fix. However, the peeling paint issue took FAR longer to fix than the dings and dents. All totaled, I spent a month doing prep to fix the peeling paint-strip, prime, block, etc. I didn't even prime the whole truck either, just the repaired areas. Plus, it was not intended to be perfect, just a fresh coat of white single stage urethane so it would not look ratty to the cops and customers. Understand that even minor bodywork takes a lot of time to do properly on a car with a failed finish. Most of the times, fixing a dent is far easier than fixing bad paint or surface rust. After all, I spent 4-6 months blocking and perfecting my Cutlass and only an afternoon of that was fixing dings and dents.

the best thing to do is your homework so shop around. if you see a nice painted car in your area ask the driver about and get the real info before you step to the shop. now on another note i saw this not long ago and the paint was a head turner. i asked the shop about it and they said $2000 a gallon just for the paint itself :blam: plus all the extra stuff he has to pay for labor etc. wow major chips for this kinda paint job enjoy a few pics.

carpics016.jpg

carpics014.jpg

carpics005.jpg

carpics008.jpg

i hope you find a good deal and a great painter!

Why don't you just paint the car yourself. There are plenty of self help videos on the internet, and truthfully it's not that hard. The payoff to any paint job is the body work. You don't even need a booth to paint a car. As long as you prep it well, the wet sanding & color sanding will take care of the job. If you decide to do it yourself in your garage, you should spray a coat or 2 extra on the color & clear, that way you can sand out any dust particles that make their way onto the finished product. After you sand the clear, just buff it with a good buffing compound and you'll be fine. $1000 max for supplies/paint (that's if you have to purchase a small air compressor for the paint gun; $200ish).

I'll tackle a lot of things myself but i just dont think i would want to attempt a repaint on her myself, maybe my little 95 beater cutlass but not the hurst. To me its just one of those things best left to the pros. Im gonna keep shopping and asking around im sure i can come up with something, actually one call i gotta make monday could prove to be "the one"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor