rather super irritated

Status
Not open for further replies.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Just venting:

How much more would it have cost GM to use something other than mild steel for the LS header bolts? Kill those aholes that didn't use a better base metal; most came out with a bit of torch on the aluminum, but GODDAMN 3 broken? I thought I was the man (bad *ss) for reversing-out the first of three broken header bolts, before I subsequently snapped three drill bits and broke off a tap in the head... Yeah, I'm pissed, but the fall-back position is drilling it out way oversized and threading an insert into aluminum, so I should get over it, right? It'll be ok when I attack it again next week, right? BTW one of those header bolts was snapped before the junkyard pick. Grrrr. Listen, I'm an office worker that is trying to build a respectable g-body: it only gets worse from here... am I right? Valentines day? Sacrificed $100 to please the gods - would really feel warm and fuzzy if these bolts came out.

Attachments

• xyz.jpg
    xyz.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Just venting:

How much more would it have cost GM to use something other than mild steel for the LS header bolts? Kill those aholes that didn't use a better base metal; most came out with a bit of torch on the aluminum, but GODDAMN 3 broken? I thought I was the man (bad *ss) for reversing-out the first of three broken header bolts, before I subsequently snapped three drill bits and broke off a tap in the head... Yeah, I'm pissed, but the fall-back position is drilling it out way oversized and threading an insert into aluminum, so I should get over it, right? It'll be ok when I attack it again next week, right? BTW one of those header bolts was snapped before the junkyard pick. Grrrr. Listen, I'm an office worker that is trying to build a respectable g-body: it only gets worse from here... am I right? Valentines day? Sacrificed $100 to please the gods - would really feel warm and fuzzy if these bolts came out.
that is frustrating,i know this is zero help but mild/carbon steel to aluminum is the lesser of two evils in that exhaust/dissimilar metals department actually.ford went that route with stainless manifold hardware and with the constant heat cycling of the cast manifold-stainless hardware relationship it's an absolute nightmare.again i know this is no help but it might be worse.in my opinion that $100 was money well spent on this holiday of all holidays..

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
FWIW, the bolts don't break because of poor quality. Manifold bolts have to be of a material that expands and contracts at the same rate as the manifold. It's not as easy as one would think.

Anyway....bust out the welder and leave the drill and tap for someone else. A 220 welder is even better, but a 135/145 Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, etc. will get it done, just might take a couple of tries (be sure to unhook the battery before welding).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Wait...did you not know that those OEM head bolts are torque-to-yield? Exhaust manifold bolts are yield-to-torque?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Pretty sure thats a common issue with those motors especially the 5.3s. My old '03 Tahoe had a nasty exhaust leak but for some reason I think they were studs and not bolts. I might be wrong about that since it was a long time ago. I wasnt about to mess with them. I took it to the local Chevy dealer. I'd rather see them fight with that crap.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
My Rainier 5.3 daily had one broken manifold bolt when I bought it at 180k and slowly broke another 1 about every 10k miles until I had 3 or 4 broken ones and it had a nasty tick when cold. Finally I tackled the project.

I did the weld a nut to the broken stud trick and they all came out pretty easy. I think I had 5 of 6 broken on the drivers side and 3 of 6 on the passenger side after I pulled both manifolds. A few broke right under the bolt head and was able use a vice grip to remove the ones with a little stud protruding (word has it knipex brand german made channel lock pliers are the best because they have hardened sharp jaws and dig in harder as you apply torque). The other 3 or 4 had to be welded on and they came right out.

The welder helps burn the loctite and rust out of the bolts and they spin out nice when warm!

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
And it's frustrating but it's not just a GM thing. My buddies 04 5.7 hemi dodge had the same issue and so do 4.6/5.4 fords.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Ford modular motors in the F series are known for it too....

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I have like 3 on my 05 Sierra as we speak. I have to tackle them when it warms up. Not looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor