Rc cars and electric guitars for my sons Christmas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I agree with the traxxas stampede. They are based on monster trucks with big tires, ground clearance and take a beating, they are also upgradable if he stays with and want faster, more powerful . Plus they are waterproof so snow, puddles and diches are no problem and add more to the fun factor.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I agree that the Squier (Fender) Stratocaster kit would be a good beginner electric guitar paired with a small Fender Frontman amp. Another good beginner guitar would be, or would've been an Epiphone Les Paul Jr. I don't think they're made any longer, but they were also sold as a kit with a small amp.

Reactions: 1 users

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
I was gonna suggest this same thing. Until your son shows he really wants to play, I wouldn't spend a lot. I bought a cheap acoustic guitar off Amazon about 4 years ago for my daughter, she's since upgraded to nice guitars and amps and is extremely good.
Agreed. Biggest mistake you could make is go spend thousands on a fancy guitar and an amp. Plenty of time to grow and develop into that, if the interest continues. Plus, "the struggle" (with older or not as nice gear) builds character and will help develop his sound. Tone is in the hands.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I wouldn't worry about an amplifier. No one wants to hear you when you suck and you shouldn't want them to hear. One can learn the basics with out an amplifier.

I still play my electric guitars with out an amp very often. Other than something that requires a lot of sustain you can do all those cool sounds with out an amplifier.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Thanks guys, you been a ton of help. I went ahead and bought the Squier kit.
20221219_180751.jpg
Was $350, with 4x30 min private lessons. And 3 months of fenders digital lessons. Seemed like a decent buy, and I'll be honest Amazon electronics scare the crap out of me. I also looked thru marketplace for a decent car, but came up empty locally and there's no time for shipping b4 Christmas. Luckily there's a ton of local shops near me. They have this in stock, allegedly, I'll pick it up Tommorow at work.
I'm gonna grab a wall charger too for less hassle.

Reactions: 8 users

WyoGN

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2022
if that amp doesn't have a built in tuner.....get him one. and not a pitch pipe...lol....It will make it better for everyone :giggle:

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
The traxxas stampede is a winner... i bought the $300 RTR version a good 2yrs or so before covid, but since upgraded, basically a VXL clone, and then some, easily racked up another $500 into it. I quickly put a stop to it after that, but keep in mind though, these are hobby grade toys, not some KB Toys knockoff wannabe.

My truck.

• Winner

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
if that amp doesn't have a built in tuner.....get him one. and not a pitch pipe...lol....It will make it better for everyone :giggle:
Yes, def get a tuner. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...on-super-tight-chromatic-all-instrument-tuner
The Squier is a great buy for a starter. I am a Strat man from wayyyy back. However, I've always wanted a Les Paul. So I got the next best thing.
This will be delivered tomorrow to my house.
Merry Christmas to me!

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I ordered a tuner like suggested, should be here Tommorow. I went to the local hobbytown. It has a huge rc section. From boats to fighter jets and everything to modify them. It was a really cool store. And the guys were really helpful. They have rc mechanics/tuners on staff too at $50/hr. The guy told me to start a folder with rc receipts in it. He said we don't look at how much we spend, but the folder is for warranties, etc. I said I 100% know all about the bottomless pit that is my Montes receipt box(which I never look in)
20221221_132258.jpg

I bought a wall charger/battery for 60 bucks too. The guy said to run 2 full batteries in training mode(50% power) to break the engine and get him used to it. I'm glad I went local, out of all the great advice given, that mightve been the best tbh.

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
solid choice on the stampede. Fair warning, don't drive the car...you might end up $1,000+ into R/C vehicles like me. G-Bodys and all...

3ab2c4aea0b8ea883ac026d45dfb51e3fa8af2f8-1.jpg

499cfd949503d816e0c9cdc09f057ff821c0732e-1.jpg

5d547a90662395fd84f41918ff859058f8507e15-1.jpg

b44278a0db3325a044ce080d2c048dd325d5fae3-1.jpg

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor