re-coloring plastic interior

• Thread starter Tyrone.A.Thomas
  • Start date
T

Tyrone.A.Thomas

n00b
Oct 1, 2018
SEM products makes the best as far as I know.

Last edited:

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
And clean clean clean the parts before painting, prep is the key.

pagrunt

pagrunt

Royal Smart Person
Sep 14, 2014
Shelocta, Pa
Check out PPG One Choice. Its formulated for plastic, vinyl, cloth. I've used PPG to great results but it does cost more than SEM. Going with either brand make sure you use the proper recommended cleaners & prep products.

O

ostrich

Apprentice
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
X2 on SEM. Clean the parts and sand with grey Scotchbrite & their SEM soap, and adhesion promoter. Re-coloured my 85MCSS from grey to black. Looks original and doesn't come off. It has the correct 'sheen' as well. Found other plastic dyes/paints are too shiney.

JAMCAR223

JAMCAR223

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
X2 on SEM. Clean the parts and sand with grey Scotchbrite & their SEM soap, and adhesion promoter. Re-coloured my 85MCSS from grey to black. Looks original and doesn't come off. It has the correct 'sheen' as well. Found other plastic dyes/paints are too shiney.
I, too have had good results using this method. Like said before, clean, clean, clean. Prep is always the key to a job well done. It's not hard, but you will have a few bucks wrapped up in the project. Let us know how it turns out.

michmalibuman

michmalibuman

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Jun 14, 2017
What they said!:cool:

565bbchevy

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I did my entire interior with SEM, my dash was dark gray and the center console was blue and are now Landau Black and the rest of my panels were light gray and are now Camel.
As stated prep is key for long lasting results and use an adhesive promoter , I like to finish mine with a couple of coats of Low Luster Clear for protection but does not leave an "Armorall" shine.

img_1457-jpg.96684

buick7332

buick7332

Greasemonkey
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
The plastic interior parts on my '78 lemans are sun brittle and pretty much shot. I haven't had much luck finding tan interior components, but have found several pick your part junkyards full of blue, green, and red plastic pieces. Do any of you have experience with dying or painting plastic interior parts? I of course want something that won't come off and that will match the factory color reasonably close. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I got this from Eastwood, I had great results

Attachments

wonderboy24

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
i as well did my interior. used SEM color coat. prep is the key. i also used low luster. didnt want it to look like i armoralled it