re-coloring plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

78lemans

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2006
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
re-coloring plastic interior parts

The plastic interior parts on my '78 lemans are sun brittle and pretty much shot. I haven't had much luck finding tan interior components, but have found several pick your part junkyards full of blue, green, and red plastic pieces. Do any of you have experience with dying or painting plastic interior parts? I of course want something that won't come off and that will match the factory color reasonably close. Any suggestions? Thanks!

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Hey 78lemans! Join the club! :)

Check out this post I made last fall:
http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=64

I just this past weekend got her out for the winter and put her back together (unplugged the fuel gauge wire in the process :oops: )

The paint I used came from SEM and you can get it in just about any color, your auto paint supply shop should have it.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
SEM makes great stuff, but here's some further advice. SEM also recommends and makes the proper cleaner and prep chemicals to ensure that the dye can't be rubbed or scratched off. I redyed a few of my interior trim parts and had a body shop clean, prep and dye them. I also had them do the same to a spare piece I had laying around so I could test it out.

When I got everything back I let the parts cure for a week and then went after the spare part with engine degreaser, windex, silicon spray and finally a flat screwdriver. I couldn't get that stuff to come off no matter what.

I learned the hard way previously when I dyed some of the parts from my Firebird gray. The originals were red. I cleaned the parts with soap and water and TSP, rinsed really well and then dyed them. They looked great, but everytime something touched them the dye would scrape off.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Yeah, true that. If you don't get them absolutely clean the stuff won't stick for anything. I've had good luck with the stuff I did. Went after it with simpie green and a rag and so far haven't had any peeling off. YMMV.

The only exception was the 4-speed boot trim, the rubber boot had something on it when I put it back in the new paint just fell off. Like instantly. Not cool. Cleaned it all and re-shot it and no problems yet.

Don't scrub too hard though. Some of my parts were starting to get all "crumbly", had to be real careful.

I was going to go the whole SEM prep solvent route, too... but I had more than one paint/body person tell me that wasn't really needed if you just got things super-clean first... Depends who you ask I guess. ;)

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I just did some of my interior. I didnt change color, but the original color was faded into a few different shades.
I used a degreaser, like Simple Green, rinsed and allowed the parts to dry. I then used laquer thinner to wipe the parts down before I sprayed them. You will need several light coats for sure.

78lemans, are you saying you found several parts cars with good plastic? :shock:
How about the plastic under the rear/side window?
Get all these you can get.....NOW! Sail panels and C panels too!!!!
Door panels too if they're not 80 Lemans cars.

Let me know how much$$$ and I'll see what I can afford to buy from you.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor