"re-wiring" factory HEI car to run points distributor

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The only reason I'm considering points distributor is because the engine is already set up with one. The distributor has got an XR-i electronic kit so it's not true points but would still need a points style coil I believe
IMO save your money on buying an external coil, the HEI will provide a hotter spark, runs off direct 12 volts and drops right in your engine and already has a 50,000 + volt coil in cap, your car is already wired for it and cap and rotors are available at any autoparts store.
There is absolutely no benefit to going the route you are suggesting and in the end will probably cost more after buying a coil, mounting bracket, resister and wiring and definitely more wasted time.

Do those 327 heads have all of the accessory holes?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Only real advantage I see using the distributor you have now rather than an HEI is smaller cap, and you already have it.

One troubling thing to me is the instruction sheet has no hard voltage number target for the coil. Lots of mumbo-jumbo about ballast resistors, but no "final answer".

At least Mallory told people a number for their almost universally-hated Unilites

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
IMO save your money on buying an external coil, the HEI will provide a hotter spark, runs off direct 12 volts and drops right in your engine and already has a 50,000 + volt coil in cap, your car is already wired for it and cap and rotors are available at any autoparts store.
There is absolutely no benefit to going the route you are suggesting and in the end will probably cost more after buying a coil, mounting bracket, resister and wiring and definitely more wasted time.

I think he mentioned that the engine has '70 LT-1 heads. I would also be concerned if they have the necessary mounting holes for brackets, etc.
I'm assuming they're a version of double hump heads. I know not every type of double hump heads has the accessory holes. Probably the earlier Corvette heads.
I think the '70 LT-1 heads are a good HP head, but again, the accessory holes.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I think he mentioned that the engine has '70 LT-1 heads. I would also be concerned if they have the necessary mounting holes for brackets, etc.
I'm assuming they're a version of double hump heads. I know not every type of double hump heads has the accessory holes. Probably the earlier Corvette heads.
By '70, the SBCs all had accessory holes, as the switch to long water pump was complete (except Corvette)

• Agree

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Fair enough, the only reason I was going to use points was because the engine was already set up with the distributor. Still considering just going HEI though.

I should have mentioned the distributor has an XR-i points-to-electronic conversion unit so it isn't true points that require the typical set-up procedure and maintenance

View attachment 179542 View attachment 179543
I get it. The nice thing about HEI is it is the best ignition system ever made. Parts are easy to get and you go from about 22K volts to 50K available volts. Back in the day one of the guys that worked for me had a Dodge Charger. He saved up enough money to buy an electronic distributor but didn't have enough to buy the wiring and the Mopar module. It was slow one day so I told him to drive it in the shop. We installed the Mopar distributor and I wired up a GM 4 pin module and a Toyota Supra ignition coil. We put it on the scope before and after. Went from 22k volts to over 50k available. He said the car drove incredibly better. Cured cold and starting issues. Just saying:)

Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So many other choices than just points. Understanding the extra cost getting parts across the boarder but the investment it a better electronic distibutor pays it back down the road. One wire is better than multi wires with the ballast.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The early S10 coil would work for you too. 12V no ballast and no bypass wire from the starter 50,000 Volt output. Coil wire is the later HEI type you would use a sparkplug wire with a cutdown boot as the coil wire. Might get it for cheap at a salvage yard.

Edited to add: The posted diagrams for a point distributor are only going to go so far the distributor is basically electronic now. It will have 3 wires coming from it. the one to the coil, ground and 12 volts. So more complexity than the posted diagrams.

Attachments

• 1991 S10 Coil.jpg
    1991 S10 Coil.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Ottawa_LeMans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2021

Thanks for all the feedback on the ignition system question.

I've decided to go with the HEI for all the reasons listed in the thread (already have the wiring, hotter spark, simplicity etc.)

And the engine's heads have accessory holes as the heads are 3991492 / 1970 LT-1

Colin

Reactions: 4 users

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
492s are the over counter replacement head for 041,186,370 , pretty good cyl head slightly bigger port and flow alittle better too great score

Ottawa_LeMans

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2021
492s are the over counter replacement head for 041,186,370 , pretty good cyl head slightly bigger port and flow alittle better too great score
Thanks for the clarification! I had seen a few posts on chevy forums but was not clear as to what exactly they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor