Rear Axle C Clip - Bandaid Fix Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
My 86 SS, 90K miles, has left side axle knock probably due to a worn C clip groove. Also there is a jolt when shifting to D from N, idle speed is 650. As a semi permanent, budget friendly fix, could I use a thicker C clip to fill the excessive space in the axle groove(assuming the groove/C clip being worn is the cause). I believe there may have been an issue with the 7 5/8" axle produced at the Buffalo plant.
The manual does not give details on checking a rear end externally but here is what I have noted:
-rotational play at pinion = 1/8"
-rotational play at left wheel 1/4"
There is about 1/8" in out movement of the left axle, 1/16" at the right axle.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
No, there is not a thicker c-clip available as far as I know, and it's not a solution even if there was one available. Your best bet is to pull both axles and inspect them at the c-clip groove, splines and the axle bearing area. If you could post some photos, then it would become much more obvious of your issue.

I will assume that you have no leaks, vibrations or abnormal noises. Do you own a dial indicator with a magnetic base?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that is a leap to say an axle knock is being caused by a worn C clip grove without inspecting the rear end. Like 64nailhead suggested you need to pull the axles to inspect them and the c clip. Plus look at the axles to see if they are worn from riding on the axle bearing and check the bearing itself.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Ed, there is no way you have a major wear issue on that cream-puff. No offense. Just sayin. Run it.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Pinion Bearing - seems tight- as in no lateral movement.
I guess the in/out play is governed by the crush sleeve.

The only backlash could be the ring and pinion.. I have no actual practical experience with diffs other than changing a pinion seal and changing the fluid.
I'm scared of destroying my rear end because it would mean parking the beast until my finances improve. I may have to replace 5 year old tires - I find wet grip is marginal.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
are you sure that "axle knock" isn't a loose or broken shock or the exhaust system has a broken hanger....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor