Rear axle offset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I’m looking at a Ford 9 inch. They’re talking about rear axle offset of 2 1/2 or 2 3/8 . Depending on what brakes I’m using. I’m going to use 2000 Camaro rear discs. Which offset would I need?

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Its brake offset, axle offset is something else entirely, technically.

That being said after a certain year ford 9"s were all 2-1/2, i believe for solid axles that is actually an industry standard, or was for the majority of the years the 9" were produced. The aftermarket axles I used when Im building 9"s have a small 1/8" spacer that goes on before the axle bearing, it changes the axle from 2-3/8" to 2-1/2"

Reactions: 1 user

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Its brake offset, axle offset is something else entirely, technically.

That being said after a certain year ford 9"s were all 2-1/2, i believe for solid axles that is actually an industry standard, or was for the majority of the years the 9" were produced. The aftermarket axles I used when Im building 9"s have a small 1/8" spacer that goes on before the axle bearing, it changes the axle from 2-3/8" to 2-1/2"
I just read they’re info again, it does say the offset is for brakes. So which one would I choose for 2000 Camaro discs?

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
BTW the company is on ebay motors/ parts I punched in complete Ford 9 inch gbody, then scroll down to the pic of the black 442 gbody

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I emailed the guy and he said that my brakes wouldn’t work because the housings set up with Ford ends.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
So, try Explorer brakes?
This is why I don't mess with eBay. If the guy was building you a rear correctly, the housing ends would be a non-issue. If it is a used piece and came out of another G body, then you get what you get. The hucksters on eBay are cheaper than the renown builders for a reason.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
So, try Explorer brakes?
This is why I don't mess with eBay. If the guy was building you a rear correctly, the housing ends would be a non-issue. If it is a used piece and came out of another G body, then you get what you get. The hucksters on eBay are cheaper than the renown builders for a reason.
I already paid a small fortune for the Camaro brakes front/rear

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Whyd you think 10 bolt parts would bolt on a ford rear? Cut your losses and get a ford brake kit

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor