Rear axle shop?

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Does anyone happen to know of a shop capable of rebuilding a rear axle north of Pittsburgh, PA?
I only know of two, ones quite a haul, and the other’s a dirt track chassis shop that’s absolutely swamped at the moment.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Talk to your local Fleetpride. Looks like there's one in Pittsburg. They really aren't hard to do. Buy a couple of cheap HF tools and do it yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Talk to your local Fleetpride. Looks like there's one in Pittsburg. They really aren't hard to do. Buy a couple of cheap HF tools and do it yourself.
If I do it myself, would it be easier if I went with a solid pinion spacer versus a crush sleeve?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Try to give MBC out on RT 210 a call & ask for Fred. Ask him about a retired gentleman who rebuilds rears at home. You'll have to take the rear to that gentlemans home to have it done. It is said he is good & uses quality parts.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
There are a ton of people that can rebuild a rear correctly for 'normalish' power, and I'm sure there are some in your area. I'd recommend to keep searching. But if you are insistent on having it done within a week, then prepare for the 5hr and 8min drive to Bingo and I'll put it together for you.

Regarding the crush sleeve vs spacer, my kid has 15k+ on his 8.5 without the spacer using a crush slave. That 15K miles is 3 sets of tires, Drag week and all the abuse that it deserves - still working. I pulled it apart and checked gear lash - still at .009". I say the heck with the spacer unless you're at 1000+ hp - it's a gimmick.

• Informative

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
5 hrs?that's not bad,think of everything you'll learn while your there.

Reactions: 3 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
There are a ton of people that can rebuild a rear correctly for 'normalish' power, and I'm sure there are some in your area. I'd recommend to keep searching. But if you are insistent on having it done within a week, then prepare for the 5hr and 8min drive to Bingo and I'll put it together for you.

Regarding the crush sleeve vs spacer, my kid has 15k+ on his 8.5 without the spacer using a crush slave. That 15K miles is 3 sets of tires, Drag week and all the abuse that it deserves - still working. I pulled it apart and checked gear lash - still at .009". I say the heck with the spacer unless you're at 1000+ hp - it's a gimmick.
If an 8.5 took that power and consistent abuse for a week, then I think my 8.8 would be fine with a crush sleeve.
I don’t need it done within a week, just by July. I haven’t been able to get ahold of the axle shop I know of since this quarantine thing started.

5 hrs?that's not bad,think of everything you'll learn while your there.
I’d love to learn how to do it myself, but I’m ridiculously afraid of my own work.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If an 8.5 took that power and consistent abuse for a week, then I think my 8.8 would be fine with a crush sleeve.
I don’t need it done within a week, just by July. I haven’t been able to get ahold of the axle shop I know of since this quarantine thing started.

I’d love to learn how to do it myself, but I’m ridiculously afraid of my own work.
Learn how to read a gear pattern and and how to use a dial indicator. Nothing to be scared of - what's the worst that will happen? 8.8 gears are literally $40 from the scrap yard - I have 3 sets 'in stock' hehe.

Make Jim eat worm out the Mezcal!

I'll eat the worm, but you have to ride in Monte Alban :) :)

• Haha

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor