Rear axle swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2015
I have a 1980 Cutlass Supreme and I'm trying to find a rear end to swap but I don't know what would fit. I'm putting a big block 454, turbo 400 trans. The car came with a v6.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
If the 454 makes any real power I would just go straight for a Ford 9" ready made to bolt in to a G-body.
There are quite a few other options, but 9 times out of 10 this will be your best bet.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Put a GM in your GM and go with a 12 bolt. Just as strong, lighter than a 9", and none of that F**d crap! UMI makes 12 bolt angle adjusting upper arms to fit. Gonna have to narrow it likely anyways, so good time to upgrade the axles. Just my $.002.

two90west

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2011
chicago
12 bolt gm is the way 2 go, if the 454 put's out anything over 350 hp go with a 3.73 gear is fine. anything lower than 350 hp go with 3.42 gear, i'm pretty sure the v 6 was bolted to a turbo 350 trans. putting in the 400 trans your gonna have to get a new drive shaft or get the one you have cut and balanced depending on if the 400 trans is a short tail or a long tail trans. take you'r time DO YOUR HOME WORK ask questions and don't get frustrated....can't wait to see your finished product....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor