Rear Blazer Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
EmergencyBrake5.jpg
On line purchase. I can't remember where from. There are several styles. Mine is the cheap one. The thing is that it must angle the shock towards the center of the car. Just spacing it towards the back will still not allow the shock to mount. It will hit the caliper.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
IMO, get the installation started and figure it out as you go. So make a list of possible problem areas such as e-brake brackets, cables, brake line hook ups to original lines, shock mounts etc. If they don't interfere they don't and that is one less item.

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
View attachment 180623 On line purchase. I can't remember where from. There are several styles. Mine is the cheap one. The thing is that it must angle the shock towards the center of the car. Just spacing it towards the back will still not allow the shock to mount. It will hit the caliper.
I believe I can make that, looks simple enough.
You wouldn't need to if the calipers were mounted towards the front.
I got the 2wd blazer rears they mount to the back I believe

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The 2 wheel drive brakes mount the calipers to the rear. The 4 wheel drive versions mount them to the front. The 4 wheel drive versions are much more common but they have fitment issues.

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
How critical is it to have the backing plates perfectly centered around the axle hub?

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
I got the 2wd blazer rears they mount to the back I believe

Yes. The difference between 2wd and 4wd is the axle mounting plates and rotors and forward and aft caliper mounting. I did the swap close to 15yrs ago. The 2nd gen f-body rear disc were popular at the time. I have a-body 8.5 and other than modifying the axle bearing retaining plates it was a direct bolt on. I used 4wd axle mounting plates so if possible parking brake cables would point in the forward direction. I don't plan on it. Plan on centering the plate on the axle family close. The od of the rotor is very close to the caliper. Erroring on the side of caliper being farther away from the rotor would be less critical.

Goldhawg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2021
Can anybody comment on the thickness of the spacer between the axle and the backing plate? I am installing the LS1 brakes on on my G-body and I see various thicknesses online, for multiple cars, so I wanted to know what G-bodies needed. I think I'm seeing 3/16" as about right. If 1/8 would work, I'd like that as I have some of that. I think the backing plate issue is the same between blazer brakes and camaros?

Last edited:

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Figured this would be a good place to ask.... (Blazer vs. LS1 rear discs).

I know these set-ups can 'crowd' the frame on cars w/aggressive lowering (>3").
Are the rotor offesets similar or is there a difference?

Same for wheel clearance.
Are the rear set-ups any more invasive as far as caliper clearance on wheels (my rear wheels will have more back-spacing)??

I test fit some 17" wheels over front g-body spindles w/LS1 front calipers/rotors but I'm not sure if clearances are different for the rears (calipers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor