Rear body mount stripped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E84MC

Apprentice
Jan 10, 2019
So my second to last rear driver side body mount is stripped (the one right behind the tire), it’s not just loose wiggling around but barely tightens up. I’ve seen online a couple ways of fixing this but I am not a welder. My question is if all my other mounts torque to spec (like they do) will I be ok with leaving that one as is since the one behind and in front this one are good? Only planing for 400rwhp max.

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
Just drill out a 1” hole in the trunk to access the cage nut, cut or drill out the cage nut and use a regular nut and large washer to tighten. It’s better than nothing if you don’t have access to a welder.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Just drill out a 1” hole in the trunk to access the cage nut, cut or drill out the cage nut and use a regular nut and large washer to tighten. It’s better than nothing if you don’t have access to a welder.
And then you can push in a 1" rubber body plug to cover the hole, or have the 1" piece welded back in

Reactions: 5 users

E84MC

Apprentice
Jan 10, 2019
Be thankful it's stripped and not broke off see if a 7/16 bolt can grab grab some threads it's gotten me out of a pinchI will definitely try that first if the bolt comes out. I didn’t want to remove it right away since it tightened up a little bit and I’ve been at work all day.
Be thankful it's stripped and not broke off see if a 7/16 bolt can grab grab some threads it's gotten me out of a pinch
Yeah thanks I should try that first if the bolt comes out. Haven’t tried since it tightened up a little bit and rather have that then it to be completely loose making noise.

Reactions: 1 user

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
If it's stripped because of rust it might be a good idea to cut the cage nut out from inside the trunk and replaced it with a normal nut and clean up the rust in that pocket a little bit, or if it's stripped because of cross threading/over torquing then you could use a thread repair kit like a helicoil. I don't think using a larger bolt would work because it wouldn't fit the steel bushings that come with most aftermarket body mount kits. I made 1/4 inch thick steel "washers" the same size as the factory cage nuts to retain the same strength as the factory design.

Last edited:

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Thanks everyone for the help I appreciate it but would it really be a bad idea to use the 9 out of 10 mounts?
Not like it’s not been done before, one on my El Camino had to have had a broken bolt for years. All depends on plans of what you are going to do with the car. It adds a “weak “ spot putting more stress to the other mounts. As a daily you’ll probably never notice it unless it squeaks or rattles. If you do more stressful driving, twisty’s and such, you’ll want to keep an eye on it like when you do oil changes. And put it on a need to fix item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor