Rear bumper shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locus2298

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 20, 2021
Hey guys, new here. So I have this Montecarlo CL 1986. I just adquired it. Checking the back of the car I saw that the bumper it's not aligned with the bottom of the reverse lights. So I dissassembled the whole thing and to my surprise, the rear driver's side bumper shock it's a little bit more retracted than the one of the passenger's side.

Mi question is, is it possible to stretch that absorber once again? If it is, how can I do it? If not, what other solution there is?. And also, how do I align the bumper correctly once I assemble everything?

Attachments

• 16215592156606889047207648158820.jpg
    16215592156606889047207648158820.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
  • 16215592331278593775339196848705.jpg
    16215592331278593775339196848705.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If you can't get the shock to back out you can always use some metal plates to even it out with the passenger side.
Maybe try a big pry first to get some leverage to pull it out, on my Regal I used 3/8" threaded rod and nuts to retract my bumper shocks because they were too far out for my new front spoiler to fit right .but you could use a similar set up as a spreader to try to push it out slowly.

Reactions: 1 user

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Yes, I've used hydraulic tools to force them back into place (loosen the set bolts). Did it in the last coupla years on the Cream Car. Harbor Freight has a tool kit. This is the one that I have:

Reactions: 1 users

Locus2298

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 20, 2021
If you can't get the shock to back out you can always use some metal plates to even it out with the passenger side.
Maybe try a big pry first to get some leverage to pull it out, on my Regal I used 3/8" threaded rod and nuts to retract my bumper shocks because they were too far out for my new front spoiler to fit right .but you could use a similar set up as a spreader to try to push it out slowly.
I tried with a scissor lift jack between the steel inner bumper and the frame off the car very close to the absorber. It didn't even moved it a quarter of an inch, and the jack got bend haha. I'm going to remove the steel bumper and put some of the old fire to it to see if it moves a bit or I'm going to do the plates trick.

Locus2298

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 20, 2021
Yes, I've used hydraulic tools to force them back into place (loosen the set bolts). Did it in the last coupla years on the Cream Car. Harbor Freight has a tool kit. This is the one that I have:
Excellent idea, but on low budget right now unfortunately.

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
I pounded on one with a BFH and it didn't budge. I have two left over from when I redid my El Camino, don't remember details of what application they specifically came from, you can have them for the cost of shipping if you want. LMK if you are interested and I'll get the specs off them.

Locus2298

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 20, 2021
I pounded on one with a BFH and it didn't budge. I have two left over from when I redid my El Camino, don't remember details of what application they specifically came from, you can have them for the cost of shipping if you want. LMK if you are interested and I'll get the specs off them.
Well, I appreciate the offer, however I have the car in Costa Rica, so I'm a little bit limited on resources right now. However I will let you know as soon as possible. It's not a big deal, I can use a block of wood to equal the length on both sides

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor