Rear Carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Got a carpet question for you folks.
Whats everyone using for rear carpet and for the back of the rear seat ?
I planned on using the same carpet that I used for the front but ACC stopped making the "unbacked" carpet a couple of years ago. Now all they make has the same backing as the molded stuff. Guess it was cheaper.
I looked at Ozite and they make a color thats close but if theres another option please tell me.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mich,
I ended up getting additional matching yardage for the rear of the car. It's not mass backed like the floor kit, which makes it a little more flexible and easy to cut and fit.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Jack,
When did you purchase that carpet ? I know ACC used to sell what they called "un backed" or "open backed" carpet. The back of the carpet didnt have the stiff coating on it. I bought a 1/2 yard of it when I was doing the interior of the 81. Used it for the door bottoms. Im not talking about the stiff jute or black coating. I think thats what theyre calling the "mass" backing. All the new carpet from them had a smooth backing on it.
I just dropped my seats off at the upholstery shop yesterday and the owner said the new carpeting wont stick well to the door bottoms. He also said contact adhesive wont work. He suggested the Ozite for the door bottoms but that would look like crap.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mich,
I purchased the carpet from stockinteriors.com. It's not jute backed. However, It 's smooth backed like you described, and is not very thick. Although, I also used some of that same carpet on the door panels using contact cement and it worked like a charm.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I'll have to take a couple of pictures of what I have. You can tell me if its the same stuff. Maybe I'll have them on tonight.

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
Mich,
I purchased the carpet from stockinteriors.com. It's not jute backed. However, It 's smooth backed like you described, and is not very thick. Although, I also used some of that same carpet on the door panels using contact cement and it worked like a charm.

Same here. also got my molded carpet from them. all the same color. 6 extra feet
I actually just cut mine Saturday.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Same here. also got my molded carpet from them. all the same color. 6 extra feet
I actually just cut mine Saturday.
Good for you man. It's not difficult to cut either. I used a pair of upholstery shears and they made short work of it....and got a nice clean cut.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I may do something similar. I've went without carpet in my past few wagons.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Has anyone sewn their own binding before? I have an old vintage sewing machine, but it might not be heavy duty enough.
Essentially, you're using vinyl to bind the edges.
A woman that I know who does upholstery work always seems to blow me off, even though her and her late husband have done several jobs for me over the years.

Last edited:

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
I just bought carpet for my big truck from ACC and purchased five additional yards. Came in a separate box rolled up nicely. No backing, wasn't cheap but is the same as the molded stuff for the truck. I used two and a half yards for the back wall of the truck and the rest I'm having my carpet buddy match the dash cover I bought that doesn't match the carpet now. He can put that hem/edge on like Jack mentioned. Will do the same thing with the wagon for the rear seat and rear load deck.

I bought jute on eBay and weatherstrip adhesived it to the back of the carpeting for additional sound deadening. Worked bitchin. Sorry, don't have any photos yet. ...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor