Rear coil springs - constant or variable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Been looking at to much info on springs! Give me pro's and con's for both or either.

Help me clear my mind!

David.C

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2012
Here's the deal... If you are looking for a smother/softer ride go with a consistent rate spring and nice shocks. If you're going to be hot roding it you'll need to bag the rear coils because it will load up the right rear if you are making HP. Or you can add a anti roll bar, more expensive but more effective (about $350). Variable rate springs are generally made from a little thicker material and will ride stiffer (and taller) until loaded (kinda like a truck).

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Variable rate springs are generally made from a little thicker material and will ride stiffer (and taller) until loaded (kinda like a truck).

That was my take away from all the spring info.

Now in a 5th gen ElCo, my question is when would I be flirting with too much spring. Also this will not be used in a race application. More of a driver. I may in the future consider light towing.

David.C

Greasemonkey
Sep 6, 2012
That was my take away from all the spring info.

Now in a 5th gen ElCo, my question is when would I be flirting with too much spring. Also this will not be used in a race application. More of a driver. I may in the future consider light towing.

If it's only light towing just stay with a constant rate spring, I think you'll be happier in the end (more like a daily driver). You can still bag the rear coils to assist with spring compression if needed. If you decide to go with the variable rate spring, let me know. I have 2 nearly new pairs of Moog springs (w/ spring insulators) that I'll let go cheap, plus shipping.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I'll take a pair. I will message you my address. You don't need to be in a big rush to ship them, if you want. I won't need them for a bit. Gotta finish the rear end before I hang it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor