Rear Coilover Shock Bracket issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevytruc1658

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2011
North Bend, Washington
I have a question I was wondering if anyone could help me with. I just got finished installing a QP 9” I ran into an issue with the qa1 coil over shock mounting bracket. The qa1 install instructions say that the bolt for the lower shock should run through the factory hole of the lower control arm bracket and into the qa1 bracket to secure the bottom of the shock. The holes of the rear-end mount and the qa1 bracket do not match up. I took a picture of the brackets installed for reference. Has anyone ever ran into this before? Is the rear end mounts angled incorrectly? Do I have the wrong brackets? Or am I just dumb and set it up wrong? Lol Any help you can give me would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• A42DDFE7-91BD-4107-B4A7-E0164492F71E.jpeg
    A42DDFE7-91BD-4107-B4A7-E0164492F71E.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 596
  • 7AE58B85-A55C-4385-B41C-CD7F7BF237D4.jpeg
    7AE58B85-A55C-4385-B41C-CD7F7BF237D4.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 728

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
You have to be dang close to rubbing the rim. Switch brackets around or they are the wrong ones.

Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
QA1 on YT
You have them on right by their installation vid.

I had the same issue. Since the 9" I was using had the G-Body Brackets fab, I thought that maybe it was just a matter of a misalignment with the rear manufacture.

Maybe it's where they get their brackets from??

I solved this by installing the QA1 bracket and running the shock bolt in first and securing the bracket in place and then finding out where I needed to open up the holes to get the control arm bolt in.

You'll see in this pic I used some larger Grade 8 washers to properly make up for the clearance in one direction I had to do to get the bolts in. I scratched my head on that one a bit too. Watched the video (because I was sure I was installing them wrong) a couple of times to make sure, then just used a round cutting bit to enlarge one side of the hole until the bolt slid in.
IMG_4352.JPG

Hutch

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Is the set-up spec'd for an aftermarket rear housing or OE GM style?
I know other manufacturers might state a kit is only for a GM housing & not aftermarket.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Chevytruc1658

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2011
North Bend, Washington
Hutch thanks!

I’m just relieved I’m not the only one that’s run into this. Would you be able to shoot more photos of the set up so I can better understand how you did it? I think I’m following but more visuals would def help.

QA1 on YT
You have them on right by their installation vid.

I had the same issue. Since the 9" I was using had the G-Body Brackets fab, I thought that maybe it was just a matter of a misalignment with the rear manufacture.

Maybe it's where they get their brackets from??

I solved this by installing the QA1 bracket and running the shock bolt in first and securing the bracket in place and then finding out where I needed to open up the holes to get the control arm bolt in.

You'll see in this pic I used some larger Grade 8 washers to properly make up for the clearance in one direction I had to do to get the bolts in. I scratched my head on that one a bit too. Watched the video (because I was sure I was installing them wrong) a couple of times to make sure, then just used a round cutting bit to enlarge one side of the hole until the bolt slid in.
View attachment 153256

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I didn't take many of that bracket, but I did find this one:
IMG_4316.JPG

You can see how much I had to take out to get them to fit. It looks like your control arm brackets are a bit better made. Maybe you won't need to do as much.

Just run the bolt through for the shock mount and tighten it down so the bracket is flat to the back of the lower control arm brackets, then use a sharpie to mark the hole from the back side of the control arm bolt holes (this will require dropping the lower control arms down from the bracket to access the back side). Make your adjustments and bolt them up.

Hutch

Chevytruc1658

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2011
North Bend, Washington
Hutch, I can’t thank you enough for this. I get it now. This is a huge help.

BTW- keep up the great videos on your build. You have been a inspiration for my build and I’ve flowed your videos closely. Take care.

I didn't take many of that bracket, but I did find this one:
View attachment 153315

You can see how much I had to take out to get them to fit. It looks like your control arm brackets are a bit better made. Maybe you won't need to do as much.

Just run the bolt through for the shock mount and tighten it down so the bracket is flat to the back of the lower control arm brackets, then use a sharpie to mark the hole from the back side of the control arm bolt holes (this will require dropping the lower control arms down from the bracket to access the back side). Make your adjustments and bolt them up.

Hutch

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
So, that's the fix; egg the holes out? The entire weight of the back half of the car is on those 2 bolts. I think I'd have to come up with something else. Does QP not offer coilover brackets? Why not trim the control arm brackets, so the coilover mounts tuck up tighter?

Reactions: 2 users

Chevytruc1658

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2011
North Bend, Washington
I’m not positive. I’ve been trying to get in touch with Mike from QP to see what the solution is and have had no luck. He is usually is extremely responsive so I’m not sure if his shop has been closed due to everything that’s been going on??

QUOTE="fleming442, post: 795367, member: 18209"]
So, that's the fix; egg the holes out? The entire weight of the back half of the car is on those 2 bolts. I think I'd have to come up with something else. Does QP not offer coilover brackets? Why not trim the control arm brackets, so the coilover mounts tuck up tighter?
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor