Rear cross member cracked need options

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiturr

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2018
Hi,

Found this crack in my rear cross member ...
Not sure if it’s a cross member or what’s it’s actually called ... what are my options ?
Seems like this is welded to the frame.

Is this really bad ? Any upgrade I can do ?

Please see pictures :

ec8e15d3579da5dc083c4bee34076d5e.jpg

bae42000950d6adf1c8171aaf1a1a815.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Scared
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
for that to have cracked and spread so far I would remove the body and put the frame on a jig to get everything straight before you repair it and to add some strength to that crossmember

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Looks like you have some odd aftermarket rear suspension setup. Probably binded up bad and transmitted stress into the frame causing it to crack. Probably going to need to lift the body off the frame to repair that crossmember, as well as to reegineer the rear suspension to prevent future stress cracking. The 4 link rear suspension requires flexing and deflection to prevent binding or inducing stress into the frame.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My stockish Grand National had a hairline crack through the center right where the snubber is located. Mine had stock control arms and no ARB. The frames on these cars are so flimsy. It can happen on any of them.

you think these 30+ year old cars are weak?......here is a common problem on an Audi R8

r8-fram-2.jpg

audi-r8-v8-salvage-1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

chiturr

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2018
My car was a drag racing car so no surprise it was stressed a bit Lol ... would love to not be oblige to remove the whole body has I’m not really equiped to do so ... and never did this.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Bad news: body needs to come off.
Worse news: you need to build a chassis to handle your power.
Cheap way out: find another car and abuse the frame like a dirty wh*re like the dirt trackers do.

Last edited:
  • Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it's not too difficult and it's something I think should be done with 30 year old car as soon as it's bought. The rubber body and control arm bushings have passed their life expentancy and those bushings need to be in good shape so they car handles properly in regular driving.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

chiturr

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2018
All the bushings in the car are new so I guess it will be easier to unbolt the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor