Rear Differential Gear Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaZe

Greasemonkey
Aug 16, 2008
I'm having trouble figuring out the rear gear ratio. My manual for the car says the code on the left side of the axel should start with 2 letters, but mine says this "8AH 0 127". It doesn't follow the format it gives as "the standard" for rear axles.

If I look up AH it gives 2.29 as the gear ratio, but with it not having the same format I was curious if it is correct.

robnoxiousauto

Apprentice
Jun 28, 2008
Victoria B.C. Canada
every g body I ever got has had 2.29 with a 305 4bbl and turbo 350 so yes I suspect that is the gear ratio for you're car you poor b*st*rd. I would suggest dropping the ratio to aroul 3.07 with a three speed trans perhaps that will also fix ur speedo issue

phaZe

Greasemonkey
Aug 16, 2008
Well, the transmission could have a different speedometer gear set than what was put in the stock trans. Some people have told me if it was ever worked on by a transmission shop they easily could have swapped it out to make the job quicker and get more money for less work. It also could have just had the transmission replaced all together. I need to pull out the speedo driven gear and count the driven gear teeth and find out if the driven gear is correct or not. I've heard having just one tooth off can change it 3mph at lower speeds and even more at higher speeds.

Thanks for confirming that for me, 2.29 seems really crappy though, but it's not like I'm racing it or drag racing it right now so I don't really need to swap it out or the transmission.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Yeah, the toothcount on the speedo gear makes a huge difference. If your spedo is off at low speeds it will be far more drastic at higher speeds. It increases exponentionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor