Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_RIDE_81

Apprentice
Oct 30, 2019
Hello all. Need help. I recently purchased and had a local shop install all new brake system (minus hard lines). Since getting the car back I have driven the car to and from my home and shop/smog test which is not more than 2 miles each way. Reason: About 1 mile into these drives the brakes stay engaged after pulling off a red light. The car will move, under heavy load though. I have pulled over, cut the engine for a few minutes, and the pressure appears to bleed of and run normal for that second mile. That second trip to the install shop claims to have corrected the issue. Obviously, they didn't. (I think they are good at replacing stock items, not so good add custom installs). Hoping to get some feedback from you so I can return the car, again, and hopefully point the mechanic to the source of the problem. Thanks in advance.

Car: 1981 Chevy Monte Carlo, V8 305, TH350, mainly stock with minor bolt-ons.

Parts:
CPP - Combo brake booster/master cylinder
CPP - disc/disc proportioning valve
Right Stuff - all wheel disc kit w/ rear integral parking brake

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You need to figure out what is binding up. Rear calipers not releasing, parking brake issues? Otherwise it's a guessing game. Once it's narrowed down to the hydraulic or mechanical system we can start going from there.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when the rear brakes are stuck on open a bleeder on a rear caliper to see if there is pressure in the line

Reactions: 1 user

REGAL8r

Apprentice
May 7, 2017
How much did you pay for components,and "shop" install? Trying to compare a "better" solution to disc brakes--ls1/zq8 prepped,painted,and ready for bolt on in driveway or garage;)

G_RIDE_81

Apprentice
Oct 30, 2019
You need to figure out what is binding up. Rear calipers not releasing, parking brake issues? Otherwise it's a guessing game. Once it's narrowed down to the hydraulic or mechanical system we can start going from there.
Makes sense. Haven't had time to look at it myself, weekend goal.

G_RIDE_81

Apprentice
Oct 30, 2019
How much did you pay for components,and "shop" install? Trying to compare a "better" solution to disc brakes--ls1/zq8 prepped,painted,and ready for bolt on in driveway or garage;)
I'll get back to you on this one, need to add up my receipts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor