Rear disc brake conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mean_n

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2014
Installing a prop valve will not fix your rear brake issue. Volume and pressure come from the master cylinder only.
How did your car stop before the conversion?

Are you running the stock Jimmy emergency brakes? They might be engaged and causing the drag.
If you remove the rear calipers, does the rotor turn freely. You can remove one caliper at a time to see if it is just one caliper causing the issue or both.

What master cylinder are you running?

Does the master cylinder hold pressure? Plug both ports at the master cylinder and pump the brake pedal. The pedal should become rock hard with little to NO movement. If there is excessive movement in the pedal, you have air in the master, or a bad master cylinder.
I am actually not running the emergency brakes and the car stopped fine before conversion, since the video I haven't took the calipers back off to see if the wheels turn freely but here's a video showing how there is a struggle to turn, it's like they are locked up, the car is in drive.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Couple more basic thoughts.

Are the calipers centered on the rotors? I had to make some shims because I thought the brake pads might not wear evenly.

Are the parking brake shoes up against the rotors? You can't see this with the rotors on...

These may be peanut gallery questions...I did this conversion, but did not put the car on the road yet, so don't know if I'll hot this problem myself.

Mean_n

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2014
Guys if you watch the video you will see how I left the car in drive and recorded both sides and the resistance is has when it turns, Its like they're stuck, when I wrapped for the day it like the wheels would not turn anymore unless I got in the car to accelerated. I'm going to take them apart today before I head in to work to see if they are correctly centered. Also I am not running e brakes on this setup.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would remove the brake line from the calipers to see if it's a problem with the disk brake set up or if it has something to do with hydraulics in the brake system. If you do remove the brake lines to the calipers make sure you use some method to prevent the lines from losing too much brake fluid.

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
If you are using the stock master cylinder for an 81 cutlass, you may be running out of fluid for your rear calipers. The front reservoir (for the rear brakes) is pretty small and the rear calipers may be draining all the fluid out of the front reservoir.

This has nothing to do with the rear calipers dragging, but it is most likely the reason your pedal goes to the floor.

The stock 24mm master cylinder is most likely too small to supply the fluid needed for the 4 wheel disc brakes. I would step up to a 1.0" bore.

I am not sure it will fit your vacuum booster, but a RIGHT HAND DRIVE (think postal truck) S-10 should be a bolt it. It is a 1.0" bore, has a large reservoir, and uses the stock brake lines fitting.

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=124945

Also, double check to make sure that the bleeder screws are at the top of the caliper and not the bottom.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor