Rear disc brake options

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
ive finished doing just about everything to the Malibu that I can except for rear disc brakes.

I've swapped in an 8.5 rear end with a 373 Eaton posi with drum rears.

Are some rear disc swaps better than others? Do they all require about the same amount of work and do you always have to remove the axles in order to get the backing plates on?
If there is any way around pulling the axles that would be ideal for me because I do not like messing with my rear end setup.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There is no way to do it without pulling the axles. I use the wrench they sell for brake bleeders that has a 6 point 5/16" on one end to remove the bolt for the pinion shaft. Then you just slide each axle in s the C clip will fall out and the axle will slide out. As long as you don't turn the carrier the two small pinion gears will stay in place. It's a good idea to check the axles where the axle bearing rides on it to see if it is wearing. Depending on how old the axle seals are you might want to change them. To get the old ones out I use the end of the axle to pry them out. This also gives you the chance to change the differential oil. To get the filler plug out I used an old 3/8" extension and give that a few good shots with my hammer to make sure the 3/8" extention is seated and to help free the plug so it can be removed.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
There is no way to do it without pulling the axles. I use the wrench they sell for brake bleeders that has a 6 point 5/16" on one end to remove the bolt for the pinion shaft. Then you just slide each axle in s the C clip will fall out and the axle will slide out. As long as you don't turn the carrier the two small pinion gears will stay in place. It's a good idea to check the axles where the axle bearing rides on it to see if it is wearing. Depending on how old the axle seals are you might want to change them. To get the old ones out I use the end of the axle to pry them out. This also gives you the chance to change the differential oil. To get the filler plug out I used an old 3/8" extension and give that a few good shots with my hammer to make sure the 3/8" extention is seated and to help free the plug so it can be removed.
I've taken axles out of an open 7.5 but never an eaton posi 8.5. Is removing the c clips and bolt the same as an open 7.5?

Also gear fluid, and bearings are brand new. The gear oil is about 2-3 years old but after the rebuild I have only put 100-200 miles on it.

Even with the 373 posi it should be a fairly easy swap then once axles are removed?

Which brake upgrade do you think is best? I'm running 17in wheels so it shouldn't matter which sleeps. I don't really care to have the e brake setup

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
With a posi the axles are removed the same as an open but it's a tighter spot to get the c clips back in. I used a magnet to remove and to get the C clips back in. It makes no difference which gear ratio you have. The oil will be good to use again but as far as which upgrade is best since you don't care about the e brake I'm not sure what the best one is. Most use the F body parts for the conversion.

I forgot to mention something about removing the C clips on a posi, if your posi has the S spring you will need to remove that after you have removed the pinion shaft and put it back in after you have the axles back in and the C clips in place.

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Unless if you want the rear discs for looks, don't spend the money. Put in a set of manual brake S10 wheel cylinders with the bolt in brackets, adjust the shoes nice and snug and call it a day. You will have a lot better pedal feel. If you aren't going to road race the car, you don't need rear disks. I realize this is not a popular opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
With a posi the axles are removed the same as an open but it's a tighter spot to get the c clips back in. I used a magnet to remove and to get the C clips back in. It makes no difference which gear ratio you have. The oil will be good to use again but as far as which upgrade is best since you don't care about the e brake I'm not sure what the best one is. Most use the F body parts for the conversion.

I forgot to mention something about removing the C clips on a posi, if your posi has the S spring you will need to remove that after you have removed the pinion shaft and put it back in after you have the axles back in and the C clips in place.
That last part is what scares me haha. I'll most likely take it somewhere and have it done just to be safe. Rear ends are something I don't have much experience with . Do you know if the 98-02 camaros have the S spring in their rear? I would feel more comfortable taking apart one at the junkyard than mine in the garage for the first time

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That last part is what scares me haha. I'll most likely take it somewhere and have it done just to be safe. Rear ends are something I don't have much experience with . Do you know if the 98-02 camaros have the S spring in their rear? I would feel more comfortable taking apart one at the junkyard than mine in the garage for the first time

Why do you want rear disk brakes?. If you're nervous about opening the rear then why not take Texas82GP's suggestion to upgrade your drum brakes

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I totally agree with Jared. Most of us don't "need" them, we just "want" them. I have a similar setup on my car - S10 cylinders / Wagner Thermoquiet shoes / new brake spring hardware / Aluminum drums. I have some pretty good brakes, combined with S10 Blazer twin piston front calipers / Wagner Thermoquiet pads / Cross drilled & slotted rotors / Russell stainless brake hoses. This does not mean I won't get my "wanted" rear disk conversion, though. They would look better with my larger 20" wheel, and act as a "c-clip eliminator" / "axle retention" device.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
Unless if you want the rear discs for looks, don't spend the money. Put in a set of manual brake S10 wheel cylinders with the bolt in brackets, adjust the shoes nice and snug and call it a day. You will have a lot better pedal feel. If you aren't going to road race the car, you don't need rear disks. I realize this is not a popular opinion.
I do like the idea of that. But I would also like to have rear disc for looks. I have rebuilt my rear drums with new hardware and pads and drums. Do you think I would notice a difference adding in the s10 wheel cylinders? I'm just running Autozone duralast gold pads in the rear right now, is there a big benefit to going ceramic? I do run ceramic up front

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
as mentioned above the rear disk swap is fairly easy. Do one side at a time and don't move the driveshaft and it will all go back together without changing a thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor