Rear end gear swap kit and parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I currently have an open 7.5" 2.41 rear in my car and am planning on swapping to a 3.42 posi. The carrier is a 26 spline auburn pro that was installed but never used as the person bought it with 26 splines and they needed a 28. The gears are a low mile set of GM gears. Rear end housing has 140K miles on it or so and makes no noise and had no metallic flake in when I changed the fluid 10K ago.

I was looking for rear end bearing stuff and seen theres a bunch of options. I know I need the crush sleve shims and the basic stuff but how many parts do I need to replace? Would it be neccesary to swap axle bearings and pinion bearings? The carrier has brand new bushings pressed on.

Basically do I need the $110 kit with all the bearings, or the $40 kit with just shims, crush sleve and gasket?

BTW, I have an 80 Monte chassis service manual with a pretty good section on how to set of a rear so I should be able to do it. Ive never done it but my father has done heavy duty stuff. Plan on doing it in my garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor