rear end on 1986 elky :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpinguin44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2006
So not too long ago I posted an article on here about stock transmission problems on my TH-200 three speed.

Now I have a question about the stock rear end that's found on the El Camino in 1986.

What's the gears and what would be my best bet as to get posi-traction?

edit:
Alright, so I'm aware five minutes later that a few technical specs would be needed, I just got my elco back from the shop:
New 350ci small block that cranks 400 horsepower
Turbo 350 transmission with a shift kit
don't know what the stall is, plus it's got a new driveshaft, so if that helps(I'm a complete n00b at cars still)

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Well if your looking at posi or "limited slip" your going to want a clutch type; those are rebuild-able and easier to work on. I run an Eaton type and I'm very happy with it. As far as gearing goes it depends on what you want to use the car for. If it is going to be daily driven or used at freeway speeds you'll want something taller. I'd go with 3.23's or higher. If you want some snap and good ET's I'd run at least 3.73's.

Derpinguin44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2006
Well, my question, what's the gear ratios on the stock?

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Sorry, I missed the question there. Most GBodys have 2.41:1's stock. If you find the axle tag then you can know for sure.

Derpinguin44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2006
Thanks, sweet. I'll be sure to look.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
the rpo codes should tell you the ratio too. not too sure where they are on an elco.... they're on the inside of the trunk on most of the cars. but obviously they'd need to be somewhere else on your car

Ryan

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
you can do it the easy way too. call GM and give them your serial number, they can tell you what ratio you have and if it came with a posi.

Derpinguin44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2006
ONE EYE said:
you can do it the easy way too. call GM and give them your serial number, they can tell you what ratio you have and if it came with a posi.

Oh, I know it's not posi... but all I need to know are the gears and how should I go about getting 3.73:1 gears and a posi locker

Snaggle To0th

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2007
West Sacramento
most elkys came witha 2.73 gear...great for fuel economy with the TH350. If your gonna be drag racing the 3.73 is a good option.

-Anduh

80ECLT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2006
Wisconsin
3:73 is kind of low for a non overdrive car if you street it. Go with 3:08 or 3:23 for best all around performance. My El Camino came with 2:56:1 non posi. I went to 3:23 and it has a much nicer feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor