rear end on 1986 elky :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
If you want performance you'll have to sacrifice mileage and run a lower gear. If your not happy about it just get a taller tire. With a 28" tire you'll cancel out the gearing.

Derpinguin44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2006
Hmm. I've already made up my mind about getting 3.73 gears and a posi locker.

Problem is right now money, and one last question...

How big is the gear box? 7.5 or 8.5 inches?

80ECLT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2006
Wisconsin
All G-bodies came with a 7.5" except for the 200hp-up Turbo buick's and some Olds 442's got 8.5"s.

8.5's fetch $600-$1000 used, everyone wants one(including me) and finding one at the junkyard is like winning the lottery.

You can buy a ready build ford 9" or GM 12 bolts from Currie or Moser that drop into g-bodies for about the same price, but they will take more abuse.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
Ya the stock one will explode with only 300hp. I am about to aquire a 12 posi from a chevelle to maybe put in mine but will probably end up selling it. It's a 4.11 and I have a 3.42 and the gas milage really sucks with the three speed. anyway a rear end from an A-body like the chevelle will fit and is usally cheaper by a couple of hundred than the rare GN or 442 one.

80ECLT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2006
Wisconsin
Those chevelle a-body rears are wider and you need custom upper suspension arms to make them work. Stock wheels will stick out of the wheel well.

Not a drop in fit.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
it's only like 2 inches total and if you put in a new rear end i would hope you would get new control arms. So just get adjustable ones and get the extra traction. Also just get a bigger back space on newer rims. eithier way it would be worth it! the 7.5" is crappy and the new rims with 8" wide rims will make a huge difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor